Reply
New Member
Orgho
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-22-2013
0

Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score

I've recently started rebuilding my credit, so forgive my (possibly) n00b-ish question.

 

My Walmart TU FICO score on 08/06/2013 says - 660.

To compare, I purchased myFICO's TU score on the same day, and it said 706.

 

Any idea why this discrepancy? Is it because myFICO uses an older model (Classic '98) and maybe WalMart uses something newer like FICO 2004?

And if that's the case is it fair to assume that most creditors would use the newer model?

 

Any information at all is appreciated. Thanks!

Super Contributor
mongstradamus
Posts: 5,258
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score


Orgho wrote:

I've recently started rebuilding my credit, so forgive my (possibly) n00b-ish question.

 

My Walmart TU FICO score on 08/06/2013 says - 660.

To compare, I purchased myFICO's TU score on the same day, and it said 706.

 

Any idea why this discrepancy? Is it because myFICO uses an older model (Classic '98) and maybe WalMart uses something newer like FICO 2004?

And if that's the case is it fair to assume that most creditors would use the newer model?

 

Any information at all is appreciated. Thanks!


I believe walmart uses the new 08 TU fico. i have large discprency between myfico and walmart TU fico scores also. Over 100 points different. I think in my situation it has something to do with how 08 TU fico scores factor in AU. 



EX Fico 770 8/6/14 Fako 796 CS/Credit.com 8/22/14
EQ SW 809 quizzle fako 796 7/19/14
TU Fico 804 8/14/2014 Fako 751 Creditkarma 8/17/2014
Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal
Posts: 2,093
Registered: ‎07-29-2011
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score


Orgho wrote:

I've recently started rebuilding my credit, so forgive my (possibly) n00b-ish question.

 

My Walmart TU FICO score on 08/06/2013 says - 660.

To compare, I purchased myFICO's TU score on the same day, and it said 706.

 

Any idea why this discrepancy? Is it because myFICO uses an older model (Classic '98) and maybe WalMart uses something newer like FICO 2004?

And if that's the case is it fair to assume that most creditors would use the newer model?

 

Any information at all is appreciated. Thanks!


yes, they are different scoring models.   Neither is used by most lenders.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:701
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
New Member
Orgho
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-22-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score

DaveSignal wrote:

yes, they are different scoring models.   Neither is used by most lenders.

 

A 46 point difference is sort of substantial - wouldn't you agree?

If neither scoring model (FICO 98, 08 TU FICO) is used by most lenders then I'm tempted to ask what is the use of getting a FICO score over a FAKO score?

I thought the whole point of knowing your FICO score is an implicit guarantee that that's approximately the score that a potential lender would see.

 

But as this little experiment shows (at least in some cases) the discrepancy between different scoring models might be as large as the difference between FICO and FAKO scores.

Super Contributor
mongstradamus
Posts: 5,258
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score


Orgho wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

yes, they are different scoring models.   Neither is used by most lenders.

 

A 46 point difference is sort of substantial - wouldn't you agree?

If neither scoring model (FICO 98, 08 TU FICO) is used by most lenders then I'm tempted to ask what is the use of getting a FICO score over a FAKO score?

I thought the whole point of knowing your FICO score is an implicit guarantee that that's approximately the score that a potential lender would see.

 

But as this little experiment shows (at least in some cases) the discrepancy between different scoring models might be as large as the difference between FICO and FAKO scores.


i agree with you , when fico score differ by such an huge margin its kind of an pain. For me i am worried when i am about to app for an new cc and they are going to pull TU, which its closer to. My walmart is over 100 points less than myfico TU score. I was going to try and app for either Discover IT or Chase Freedom at end of the year, but walmart Fico is making me hesitant, don't want to waste an hard pull.



EX Fico 770 8/6/14 Fako 796 CS/Credit.com 8/22/14
EQ SW 809 quizzle fako 796 7/19/14
TU Fico 804 8/14/2014 Fako 751 Creditkarma 8/17/2014
Moderator
09Lexie
Posts: 24,939
Registered: ‎09-13-2012
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score

[ Edited ]
The score I receive from Walmart's 08 has been dead on to lender pulled scores. For the poster who mentioned apping for Discover, in my case they were within 3 points.
Super Contributor
mongstradamus
Posts: 5,258
Registered: ‎06-19-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score


09Lexie wrote:
The score I receive fron Walmart's 08 has been dead on to lender pulled scores. For the poster who mentioned apping for Discover, in my case they were within 3 points.

well i am definately going to hold off on apping for either chase freedom or discover it till scores are an lot closer. So i am assuming discover pulls something very close to 08 version? 



EX Fico 770 8/6/14 Fako 796 CS/Credit.com 8/22/14
EQ SW 809 quizzle fako 796 7/19/14
TU Fico 804 8/14/2014 Fako 751 Creditkarma 8/17/2014
Established Contributor
masscredit
Posts: 691
Registered: ‎07-17-2012
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score

Kind of makes you wonder... what does it all mean? It seems like you can pull scores from 6 locations and receive 6 difference scores (most of the time).

 

So far my only match has been DCU with my my FICO EQ score here. Both of been exact since I started getting the DCU score a few months ago. 

 

Today I'm reviewing my EQ and TU reports and scores to see why they are usually about 25 points apart. EQ is always higher.


|****$6000****|****$6000*****|****$4500*****|****$2500****|****$1600****|****$3000****|******$750******|*****$700*****|
EX - 651 (MyFico 06/05/14) TU - 662 (Barclay 08/05/14 ) EQ 04 - 699 (DCU -07/26/14) EQ 08 - 686 (MyFico -08/09/14)
Frequent Contributor
Kratos-TM
Posts: 429
Registered: ‎05-23-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score

Let's just hope TU04 is more forgiving than TU08. Because I'm not liking what I see in the OP's numbers.....:smileysad:

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
New Member
Orgho
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-22-2013
0

Re: Walmart FICO score vs. myFICO TU score


masscredit wrote:

Kind of makes you wonder... what does it all mean? It seems like you can pull scores from 6 locations and receive 6 difference scores (most of the time).

 

So far my only match has been DCU with my my FICO EQ score here. Both of been exact since I started getting the DCU score a few months ago. 

 

Today I'm reviewing my EQ and TU reports and scores to see why they are usually about 25 points apart. EQ is always higher.


Makes me think that even the scores that we pay for here at myFICO are nothing more than "educational" at best - in the sense that when I get to a real world lender they won't see the exact same scores for a variety of reasons. It could be they're using a different FICO scoring model or an "auto enhanced" score or whatever, and the differences in the scores (in some cases at least ) could be as large as the difference between FAKO scores and whatever they're pulling.

 

Kinda sucks, if you ask me, but C'est la vie I guess.


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+