Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Want to get consolidated loan from a friend to pay off debt - how will it affect my FICO?

My credit history in a nutshell - currently have 2 cc (accounts closed by creditor because I WAS in credit counseling) and 1 charge off that is in collections with LVNV/Resurgent/PRS.  Balances are 1600, 900, and 4200 respectively.  I am pretty sure I could borrow the money from a friend and make payments to him and get all this debt cleared up (which I would love to do because I'm tired of all the phone calls from CA and creditors.)  I could pay off the friend in 2 years.  I used the FICO score simulator to see how it would improve my score doing this action and it only increase my score by 20 points (581 to 601).  If I took the two years and paid the balances down instead, it increased my score by nearly 50 points.  My goal is to purchase a home next year sometime, and wish to increase my credit score in hopes of getting a home loan.  This is so mind boggling, I just want to pay my debts off and buy a house and live happily ever after! 
Would it help if I obtained another line of credit and made monthly payments on that account to increase my credit score?  I hate to do that, as I don't want to fall in the same mess I did before with debt on my credit cards..
Just looking for some credible positive advice.  Smiley Surprised)  THANK YOU!
Established Member

Re: Want to get consolidated loan from a friend to pay off debt - how will it affect my FICO?

Before you open any new accounts , I would handle the old one's first.  If your friend can loan you the money to pay off your debts and not put him or herself in a bind then I would go that route. BUT......
Borrowing money from friends and family can cause a lot of problems, so make sure that you can pay them back like you promised. You don't want to lose a friend or family member over MONEY !
However the positive side to borrowing the money from your friend, it will allow you to get rid of the creditors and save money by not paying a lot of intrest , if any at all. Your credit reports will be able to start the healing process as well...........Good Luck

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.