Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, that totally backfired! TU is angry :(

tag
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Well, that totally backfired! TU is angry :(

Ok, so I have been trying to maximize my scores...paid off an insane amount of debt and my utilization is at about 1%....that should be a good thing but Transunion does not like it at all.  I have actually reached low enough that I am now getting the "high credit limits to balances" issue Smiley Sad   There are NO other changes in my report.

I guess it's true that 0% utilization or close is the same as 30% in the eyes of fico!  I couldn't figure out why my score was dropping and fluctuating like crazy but evidently I don't have high enough balances for Transunion.  Meanwhile, EQ and EX love the uber low utilization! Go figure!  I am going to experiment and let a store card report a balance on the 4th of next month and see what happens. Fingers crossed it's something good Smiley Happy

Here is an example of the fluctuations:

scores.JPG

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Well, that totally backfired! TU is angry :(

I thought they all use the same algorithm from Fair Isaac, but the scores are different because their report contain different infomation? Anyways, I wouldn't recommend reading too much into a 3-day score spike. Also, people have said that the "sweet point" for optimized FICO score based on ultilization is somewhere from 1-9% depends on specifics in the file, so maybe for you TU file, 1% is not ideal, maybe 2-3%?

@I-think-I-can wrote:

Ok, so I have been trying to maximize my scores...paid off an insane amount of debt and my utilization is at about 1%....that should be a good thing but Transunion does not like it at all.  I have actually reached low enough that I am now getting the "high credit limits to balances" issue Smiley Sad   There are NO other changes in my report.

I guess it's true that 0% utilization or close is the same as 30% in the eyes of fico!  I couldn't figure out why my score was dropping and fluctuating like crazy but evidently I don't have high enough balances for Transunion.  Meanwhile, EQ and EX love the uber low utilization! Go figure!  I am going to experiment and let a store card report a balance on the 4th of next month and see what happens. Fingers crossed it's something good Smiley Happy

Here is an example of the fluctuations:

scores.JPG

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is definitely not the same algorithm. My TU score stays 30 pts lower than my EX. Ex has 2 more inquiries and everything else is exactly the same. Im guessing they will all come together around the 4th of next month when my 1st loan reports PIF. TU gives me too many balances messages for having 1cc report and 2 loans. score 725 same balances and accounts reporting EQ 756 EX 753. INQ TU 6 last 12 months EX 8 EQ 3. something isn't the same in the math.

Message 3 of 10
dgates01
Valued Member

I think Transunion of the most inept of the bunch.

Capital One Classic $750 / Fingerhut $1750 / Walmart $1000 / Discover $4500 / Capital One Quicksilver $3000 / Barclays $1500 / Amazon Visa $1000 / Amazon Store $900

EQ:682 (4/15) EX:706 (4/15)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sure is!  I'm getting ready to pay off my RH card & I'm making sure some card is reporting over the 1% just to be sure.  They can drop like you have a collection on there!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!  Smiley Wink  

Message 5 of 10
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the responses everyone.  It seems like there is a sweet spot that will make all three bureaus happy and I need to find it, lol.  TU was my strongest score but with these fluctuations it doesn't look like it! 

I am really hoping letting a store card report will help.  I think I may have paid all of those off and only left two bankcards reporting.  Transunion seems to break them out separately in my alerts so it stands to reason they affect scoring individually as well?  I will let you know what happens when my TjMaxx card reports around the 4th!

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 6 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I tried to challenge TU and reported balances on all accounts, then 0 balances on all but 1 account, util less than 9%, maxed out 1 card, .... I am out of ideas.. that score simply does not move more than 3 points for me also EX is quite patient. The only one that really reacts to any change of balance is EQ for me  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they're angry with you, they hate me. Note: The green donuts are the actual scores, every time I get an alert it drops to the yellow donuts.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If they're angry with you, they hate me. Note: The green donuts are the actual scores, every time I get an alert it drops to the yellow donuts.

This looks disturbing... I wonder what is the trigger of these yellow donuts?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This looks disturbing... I wonder what is the trigger of these yellow donuts?

"The universe is indeed a disturbing place."   Robot Mad

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.