cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What a joke. FICO dropped 50 points in one hit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What a joke. FICO dropped 50 points in one hit.

The only change from last month to this month :

- I applied for 3 CC's, and I got approved for two.   Capital One, and Walmart Discover.   The denial CC was Chase Freedom.  These are the only CC's I have.

- My Capital One CL is $300, and it's currently at $140 balance, and there's no minimum payment due yet.  All of my expenditures = food and gas.

- My WM Discover CL is $400, and it's currently at $240 balance, and there's no minimum payment due yet. All of my expenditures = food and gas.

- I have a healthy savings account.

- I have $900 of DISPOSABLE income every month - as in, after all of my bills are paid, that is what I have left over every month.

- My car loan payment is 100% on time in payments.

Yet FICO dropped FIFTY POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  FIFTY.

I assume this is because of my credit utilization??????  I used more than 30% utilization on my cards?  What the hell man.  I got them so I can use them at work when we go out to lunch every day, and for gas.  It's all restaurants and gas stations.  Before these CC's, I just used my bank Debit Card.   What's the big deal?  I have the cash to pay off both CC's in full in both my checking AND my savings.

What a load of crap.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What a joke. FICO dropped 50 points in one hit.

Are the balances in your original post the same balances on your credit reports?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes.   I haven't paid them yet because I am still in grace period thing, I don't have any minimum due date yet.

But still, this is ridiculous.  It took me months of paying my car on time, as I watched my score go up 5 points one month, then 6 points the next, etc...... up until I got to where I was.   Now I fix my "lack of credit card" problem and get 2 CC's with low CL's, and I LOSE 50 pts!??!?   it's going to take FOREVER to get those points back.  This is  a stupid system. 

Message 3 of 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Calm down!Smiley Happy

It looks like your reporting util is 54%. $700 in credit limits/$380 in balances. Since your only CCC's are new, I don't think these new accounts tanked your score. It looks like your util tanked your FICO 50 points.

Two things to understand about util. Paying down CC's is one of the fastest ways to improve FICO scores. High util HAMMERS your FICO's. Losing 50 points for util at 54% and a having few hard inqs, while irritating, doesn't seem like a stretch.

If you can, pay off all of your CC's except for one before their statement dates. Leave one card with a balance not exceeding 9% util. Try and do this every month and I think you'll be happy with the results.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, this week I will pay off one card to 0 dollars and the other one to 5% and then not use them anymore until the next month to do it all over again.

I'll just go back to using my debit card and maintaining 5-9% on 1 CC, cause this is silly.

thank you fused

Message 5 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

This is completely normal with high utilization and a thin file. The impact of utilization will lessen as time goes by and you build a history.

Use your cards and do not worry about FICO scores until you need to to apply for more credit or auto insurance if you are in a state that allows credit based insurance scores. They don't matter a bit until then and you can easily maximize your FICO by paying your total balance (not balance due) before the statement cuts on one card and paying the other card down to $10 or so. Don't pay them both to 0.

A great time to call and ask for a high CL is after you do this when you have demonstrated the ability to PIF.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 11
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

It happens , utilization is an pretty big part of your fico scoring. If i recall its 30%. After you fix your utilization then your score will recover. I had quite the shock an month or two ago , when i showed no utilizatiion and my scores plummeted about same amount, fixed my utilization and scores were back to "normal"

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 11
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

I'm sorry but I must be reading this wrong.  If he just got the cards and is still in his grace period with no due date yet then they couldn't be hurting his utilization b/c at this point they shouldn't have even reported any balance yet right?!?!  Just sounds off to me.  OTOH if he has already gotten a statement and they have reported those balances then I completely agree with eveyone else that is def the problem, but the way he has this worded sounds like its not reported yet?

Message 8 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

I'm sorry but I must be reading this wrong.  If he just got the cards and is still in his grace period with no due date yet then they couldn't be hurting his utilization b/c at this point they shouldn't have even reported any balance yet right?!?!  Just sounds off to me.  OTOH if he has already gotten a statement and they have reported those balances then I completely agree with eveyone else that is def the problem, but the way he has this worded sounds like its not reported yet?

Yes, the way the OP stated his situation is unclear.

I'm pretty sure one or more cards has reported a balance. Being within a grace period implies a due date since there is no grace period with a prior posted balance of 0. Also, 50 points drop makes no sense otherwise. In almost all cases the first two cards you add increases a score absent heavy utilization. I suppose there could be something very peculiar about his particular circumstance.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 11
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@--HighHopes-- wrote:

Yes, the way the OP stated his situation is unclear.

I'm pretty sure one or more cards has reported a balance. Being within a grace period implies a due date since there is no grace period with a prior posted balance of 0. Also, 50 points drop makes no sense otherwise. In almost all cases the first two cards you add increases a score absent heavy utilization. I suppose there could be something very peculiar about his particular circumstance.

Completely agree!  But when he said he just got the cards it just made it sound as if they hadn't reported at all yet in which something would be way off!  I do agree though if they have reported that util is most def the problem.  Just a strange scenario to me! lol

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.