Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What amount should I offer to settle?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What amount should I offer to settle?

As I mentioned yesterday,I have the following CO.  The OC charged off at $2,875 bal.  The CA sent breakdown: 
Principle                           $5667
Pre judgement Int            $3703
Court cost                        $1120  (Judgement)
Less Paymnts(12mths) <$3600>

Balance Due                   6891.00    What would u offer? (Don't they only pay about .05-.07 on the dollar to buy this CO? 
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What amount should I offer to settle?

I've seen some shenanigans from CA's, but turning a $2875 CO into $6891? They must be huffing propane. If it were me, I'd probably offer 'em $1800 and work up if needed. When I negotiated settlements I never left it open-ended and never offered payments. I always made it absolute and threw in something to make it time sensitive like "I borrowed this money and it's every penny I was able to scrape together. If not acceptable, I understand but I'm not going to be in a position to make this offer again." They'll try everything, asking you for postdated checks and all kinds of garbage. I tried to politely convey "it's now or never" and usually it worked, although a few times I had to ante up maybe a few hundred dollars additional. Try to appear sincere and humble in your tone, like this is all you have, and you really want to settle it. Maintain control though, don't come off meek. Don't let them railroad you. I have found that when you come at a CA nasty and on the defensive right from the start, you will get nothing but grief back. It's like kicking an angry dog. On the other side of that, if you come at them groveling, they will eat you alive. You have to land somewhere in the middle to create a level playing field. It's not easy! Just one guy's opinion. It worked for me at least. Good luck!

Message Edited by devhip on 05-18-2007 04:24 PM
Message 2 of 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I'd offer 10 cents on the dollar.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

songman50,

Are you out from under the SOL?

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, 3 more yrs until SOL.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you already DVed 'em?
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, to no avail.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

To no avail meaning they ignored your DV letter or they validated?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

They valadated it and sent copy of original contract.  I am Refinancing this month.  I held off paying them the $300 due 5/30 and called to say I would be paying late (only 5 days) and they said fine they wouldn't hurt my pay on time status.  I want them to think its getting hard to pay.  I plan on calling them when I find out what my new Mortgage pymnts will be, and tell them if they can't settle for my offer then I'm going to have a hard time making those paymnts since house pymnt went up.  That might give them incentive since I always pay them on time for last yr.  I'm thinking of offering 900.00 PTD.  What do you guys think?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

All they can do is say no, and they will. A lower initial offer generally equates to a lower final agreed upon amount.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.