cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What causes your scores to be different with other Credit Reporting Agencies?

tag
JMills
Frequent Contributor

What causes your scores to be different with other Credit Reporting Agencies?

I notice there is a 50 point difference between Experian and Equifax, Experian is my highest score now. But all the information is reporting the same. I do have more inquires on Equifax than Experian. I have 7 inquires with Equifax and 3 with Experian. How can having the same information on two CRAs come up with different scores, Will my scores every be the same number for all 3 CRAs?

Starting Score: EX: 705 EQ: 711 TU: 750 01/06/2014
Current Score: EX: 673 EQ: 673 TU: 643 05/06/2020

Last App: 05/06/202020 / In the Garden Until: 12/31/2024

Desired Scores EQ 800 EX 800 TU 800

PSCEU $20,000 Navy Signature $6,600 Navy Rewards $2,500
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: What causes your scores to be different with other Credit Reporting Agencies?

Now if ya asked for the meaning of life, I could answer that one...Smiley LOL

Like different companies, making the same size shoe, but each feels different, even though the size is the same.

Message 2 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: What causes your scores to be different with other Credit Reporting Agencies?

Different algortihms.  Even a single company can have different models that produce different scores.

@JMills wrote:

Will my scores every be the same number for all 3 CRAs?

Anything's possible but it's highly unlikely.  Why are you fixated on them being the same?  Again, they don't use the same algorithms so it's a given that the scores will differ.

Additionaly, differing number of inquiries != same information.

Message 3 of 11
JMills
Frequent Contributor

I guess I want to know if it can happen, but just was curious. My Tu and EX are just a 2 point difference

Message 4 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@JMills wrote:

I guess I want to know if it can happen, but just was curious. My Tu and EX are just a 2 point difference

You're lucky. Sometimes mine is like a rollercoaster.

Message 5 of 11
TheClub
Frequent Contributor

That's the million dollar question these FAKO score systems try so hard to decode.

I'm pretty sure the ample difference in hard pulls play a role in the difference of your scores. But 50 points?!? That's weird.

"When you're fresh meat you kill... and give them something fresher" (Frank Underwood)
Message 6 of 11
JMills
Frequent Contributor

All my scores are real Fico Scores!

Message 7 of 11
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering the same exact thing. My Exp. score has the least no. of INQ's than the other 2 and one or two less baddies that the others--but it also 45 and 58 pts. LOWER than the other two!! It's (EX) probably the best report out of the 3-go figure!!

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 8 of 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I know sometimes my accounts are just coded differently. On Experian I just noted that one account was noted as Credit Card and the on Equifax it says Revolving or other and then on Transunion it just says Revolving. Does that have anything to do with it for some people?
Message 9 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

There's 49 different Fico scoring models out there so it all depends on which one is being used 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.