cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts: Util. on Card(s) or TOTAL?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: What counts: Util. on Card(s) or TOTAL?

@Anonymous wrote:
I've seen some conflicting advice here, and wonder if we could clear it up?
When FICO figures the score, does it take into account the utilizaiton on a per card basis... or on a total debt/available credit ratio?
For example, let's say.....
  • I have one card with a $1000 limit, and $500 on it... that's a 50% util. on that CARD...
  • ..and another with a $1000 limit and $750 on it.... that's a 75% util on that CARD....

• AND I have 2 additional cards, one with a $1000 limit, but no balance.... and one with a $2000 limit and no balance = 0% Utilization on those CARDS

So how does FICO figure my utilization score?

When I was trying to work the numbers, I saw only two straight percentage options:
  • Average Utilization: Average % utilization per card: 50% + 75% divided by 4 (total # of cards) = utilization of 31.25%

• Don't use this one --the math won't work. It's not weighting the different CL's.

Overall util = sum of all balances outstanding / sum of all credit limits

Individual util = balance outstanding / credit limit (on individual card)

So your overall util is ($500 + $750 + $0 + $0) / ($1000 + $1000 + $1000 = $2000) = $1250 / $5000 = 25%.

However, if you are on a train headed westward at 60 mph, and I am on a train headed eastward at 45 mph... Smiley Very Happy Takes ya back, doesn't it?
    * Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
    FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
    Message 11 of 12
    Anonymous
    Not applicable

Re: What counts: Util. on Card(s) or TOTAL?

*LOL*.   Oh don't start me on word problems.  Smiley Happy

I figure I should probably just stop trying to figure it.  I know they say my utilization is 4% and I can't figure out how they get there.  I think I just need to be glad they say my util is 4% .  But (always a but) there's this nagging feeling that my one card that is at 85% utilization is hurting me, keeping me just below 700.  Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Sovi

Message 12 of 12
    Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.