Established Member
zdawg

What does carrying a balance really mean?

[ Edited ]

After checking my TU score I see the only "ding" on the report is for too having too many credit cards with balances.  In fact it advises "What to do about this: You should consider reducing the number of your
accounts that carry a balance and keeping your balances low."

In my entire credit history life, I've always paid off every card completely in full every month on time.  So what does keeping a balance really mean?  I pay off my cards on the same day of every month, a few days before the due date and always have. 

So,

1.  What exactly is carrying a balance?  I always thought it meant carrying debt past the payment due date, but I'm obviously wrong on this
  2.  What is an optimum number of credit cards to use each month?  I have more cards than I need (I've opened up two cards for a discount at a store not realizing that I was hurting my credit scores short term), but I don't use many of them I just don't want to close anything for fear of lowering my score/credit history.  Keep in mind I was taught at a very young age to avoid debt at all costs, so I've never even been slightly tempted to live above my means so having extra cards is not a temptation for me fortunately.
  3.  Is there a better time to pay off credit cards, like once a week maybe?  Then would I not be carrying a balance?

Just wondering how to optimize my scores, my TU score was 792 btw, so its not bad BUT I wanted it to be over 800 :smileytongue:(which it was 2 years ago when I checked so I guess this balance thing knocked me off my pedestal LOL).

Established Member
zdawg

Re: What does carrying a balance really mean?

Also I should add, I'm checking my scores now because I plan to start looking into buying a home in about a year, so if there are any things I can do over the next 12 months to really optimize my scores I would like to implement them now.

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

While apparently not a highly-weighted sub-category of scoring of util of credit, FICO looks at the % of cards carrying a balance when reported, meaning anything more than $0.  They apparently consider that to be some indication of the creditor's reliance on discretionary debt to meet monthly obligations.

Five cards with three reporting any balance would thus be 60% with balance.

With only one card, the consumer will always be at 0 or 100%, with two cards, either 0, 50, or 100%, three cards, 0, 33, 67. or 100%, and so on.

Thus, the number of revolving can help in scoring of this relatively minor sub-category.

Valued Contributor
p-

Regarding Utilization, I personally have had the best results when only one card shows a balance, and that balance is less than 5% of my total available credit.  

Distantarray recently posted a graph made by Bobwang from Creditboards in this thread and it shows the utilization effect on different credit profiles.  Very useful information.

8-12-14: FICO EXP: 797 - EQU: 734 - TRAN: 739 - AVG: 757 - +207 points from JUN 2008 - MY CREDIT JOURNAL

Regular Contributor
Quips

zdawg wrote:

After checking my TU score I see the only "ding" on the report is for too having too many credit cards with balances.  In fact it advises "What to do about this: You should consider reducing the number of your
accounts that carry a balance and keeping your balances low."

In my entire credit history life, I've always paid off every card completely in full every month on time.  So what does keeping a balance really mean?  I pay off my cards on the same day of every month, a few days before the due date and always have. 

So,

1.  What exactly is carrying a balance?  I always thought it meant carrying debt past the payment due date, but I'm obviously wrong on this
  2.  What is an optimum number of credit cards to use each month?  I have more cards than I need (I've opened up two cards for a discount at a store not realizing that I was hurting my credit scores short term), but I don't use many of them I just don't want to close anything for fear of lowering my score/credit history.  Keep in mind I was taught at a very young age to avoid debt at all costs, so I've never even been slightly tempted to live above my means so having extra cards is not a temptation for me fortunately.
  3.  Is there a better time to pay off credit cards, like once a week maybe?  Then would I not be carrying a balance?

Just wondering how to optimize my scores, my TU score was 792 btw, so its not bad BUT I wanted it to be over 800 :smileytongue:(which it was 2 years ago when I checked so I guess this balance thing knocked me off my pedestal LOL).

1) Carrying a balance means that the credit card had a balance at the statement end date that was reported to the CRA's. If you want to avoid having a balance show, pay the card down to $0 by the statement ending date so a $0 balance will be reported.

2) Doesn't matter how many you have or how many you use - the only facts that matter for FICO scoring is the number of cards that report a balance. In my experience, FICO dings your score when 50% or more of your cards carry a balance. I have around 11 cards and I use almost all of them depending on the rewards offered, but I always try to make sure no more than 5 carry a balance. I always pay the balances in full unless it is a 0.0% interest rate. I keep my total Utilization around 15-20% unless I am planning on applying for credit, then I work it down to under 10% for maximum FICO scoring.

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Established Member
zdawg

Ok thanks for all the replies everyone!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+