cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else can i do?

tag

What else can i do?

Greetings all,

After over a month of reading these forums, reading articles online, and looking at youtube videos about credit repair that give no new information, I decided to write to see if i could get any useful advice from the Forums.

Current scores:
Equifax 619
TransUnion 660
Experian 632

I have a $30 Collection reported to TU and EX which I paid for over a year ago
I have 4 Late payments total on my report
1 to Countrywide Home Loans from August '06
1 60 day late from Citibank 1/07
1 30 day late from American Honda Finance November '06
1 30 day late from Bank of America Visa November '07

I have 1 Discover Card at 49% utilization (expected pay off in May). All other cards were paid to $0 or less than 1% in January
My Citibank card was closed in January by them for multiple NSF charges in a 4 month period (though none resulted in late payments)

Last but not least I have a Property Tax Lien that I paid in November of '07 resulting from doing a favor for a friend by placing a house that I did not technically own at the time into my name and the friend never paid the property taxes on the home. (Person has since passed away)

I have sent GW letters to Countrywide and Citibank. Citibank simply updated my account balance. Countrywide said they would not remove LP.  I called American Honda Finance and they said they report credit "fairly and equally" and did not remove negative entries. I feel quite helpless at this point and I don't even know how much my score will increased based on my on-time payments of late.

I am looking to purchase a home but I've been told I need a middle score of 680 to qualify. With my recently rejections from credit companies, a 50 point increase seems so far away. Is there anything I can do besides the obvious pay off of my Discover card to increase my score?

Sincerely
Dejected and Borderline depresse
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What else can i do?

That most recent late, plus the property tax lien, are what primarily have you in the FICO score penalty box right now. Raising a score within six months of a derogatory entry is difficult.

Contact the county you owed the tax to and see if they'll remove the lien from your CR (some will). Be a rash on the buttocks of the other creditors listing lates...escalate to supervisors and supervisors of supervisors. Keep your balances low and your payments on time.
Message 2 of 8

Thanks so much. I will call on Monday and see what I can do.  I appreciate the response. I will update as things improve.

Sincerely
Persistent and Hopeful
Message 3 of 8

I am so excited right now. Out of the blue today I got a letter from Citibank after assuming they were not going to assist me when I saw them update my balance to $0 two days after receiving my GW letter and hearing nothing else from them. The letter said that in response to my letter they are going to delete the delinquencies from my credit report and that they have forwarded the information to all 3 credit bureaus!

I am so excited. The delinquency was a 60 day late and I hope will help boost my score some.  I was a bit skeptical that GW letters actually worked after having little success initially. I am now a believer and am soooo very thankful for this forum.

Thank everyone responsible for this forum. You really help improve people's quality of life! I will update as I get more info.

Thanks again!
Giddy and Elated

Message Edited by farookiemonster on 03-14-2008 09:55 PM
Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Farook, you ARE most fortunate, and have cause to whoop!
I recently sent a GW letter to BOA regarding a 60-late i had over two years ago.  No lates anywhere since then, my balance with BOA now down to 2%.  Man, I laid it on!  Pleaded about my divorce at the time, that my addressed changed as I move out, that the ex was burning my mail, and that my intent was never to be late, but simply my that my mail was being held back..  Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Well, BOA responded back to me with a letter that looked like it was written by a computer with no heart and soul!  Their response, in a nutshell, was that, while they sympathized with my reasons, that, and get this, for it is the punchline of this diartrribe...

"It would be illegal for us to remove any information reported to a credit agency that was properly reported at the time."

What BS!!!!!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 03-14-2008 09:23 PM
Message 5 of 8

That really sucks. From what I have heard, Citibank is a pretty agreeable creditor when it comes to these things. I am very blessed that I only had to write 1 letter and have this issue cleared up. What are you going to do? Wait a while and send another GW letter I hope.
Message 6 of 8

Great news. I contacted American Honda Finance and spoke with a Cust Service report about removing the late pay from my CR. I explained how it was impeding upon my ability to refi my home and that I didn't want to lost my home becaue of a 1 time late payment (I embellished) and he removed the late pay without escalating to a supervisor at all. This was a second attempted. I called in February and was denied by a rep saying they report credit "fairly and equitably." This rep was very kind and understanding and I didnt have to press him at all. He removed the entry on the spot on Monday. I received a notice today that my credit score went up 20 points! My EQ score was 619 when i first posed. It is now 682! I'm feeling very positive. I'm going to call B of A tomorrow. 

$56 Collection reported to TU and EX which I paid for over a year ago - my options appear to be limited because I paid this off. I called the CA and the original company and had no luck. It was for a utility bill in a rental property. I have been told its listed as a chargeoff but my report just says chargeoff/collection/paid.
1 to Countrywide Home Loans from August '06
1 60 day late from Citibank 1/07
1 30 day late from American Honda Finance November '06
1 30 day late from Bank of America Visa November '07

The challenging things has been the tax lien. I got a letter from the county that it has been released but EQ will not remove it. It is just showing as paid. I confirmed that EX removed it and am checking into TU as well.

If anyone has any suggestions for me please let me know.
Message 7 of 8
marty56
Super Contributor

RobertEG wrote:

"It would be illegal for us to remove any information reported to a credit agency that was properly reported at the time."

The only thing I would add to this was that I called BofA last year about the 120 day late and the CSR said the same thing and also quiped about the 120 day late being just a "sting"

LOL they were supposed to close the account when I went into DMP but they didnt and since its a 12 year old account, its helping my history and if I need it, my util.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.