Frequent Contributor
basballguy

What happens when a new month rolls over?

What happens when a new month rolls over in the following scenarios?

Let's just assume Feb for all of them:

Hard Inquiry dated 2/12/12

Judgement dated 2/5/06

Auto Loan dated 2/12/12 turns 1 year

DOFD Chargeoff dated 2/15/06 (but recently settled)

Does something happen to these items at the first of the month or does something happen when the exact 1 yr, 7 yr, etc date is hit?

Valued Contributor
tcbofade

Re: What happens when a new month rolls over?

I'm not sure if it applies to everyone or every situation that you listed, but I've noticed that an inquiry dated 02/12/12 won't be counted as a year old until 01 March 2013.

...I'm assuming that happens because both the CRA's and the various lending institutions prefer a "broader" look at the picture, and we as consumers tend to focus on the details.

Current Scores: EX 676 (FCR) TU08: 648 Wally (TU08). 07/01/14 Last app 05/29/2014.
Gardening until 01 November 2014.
(Thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app...)
Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Mega Contributor
RobertEG

Re: What happens when a new month rolls over?

[ Edited ]

With respect to reporting of DOFD, and thus exclusion of a collection or charge-off after 7 yrs + 180 days, the statute for reporting of DOFD only stipulates the reporting of the month and year, not the day of the month.  FCRA 623(a)(5). 

Thus, add 7 yrs plus 180 days to the last day of the month of the DOFD.  The statutory exclusion date would be the first day of the next month after  that date.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+