Valued Member
senseidab

What if I open 2 old accounts

I have 2 old accounts ..they are just 1 year old....but should I open them?  one was closed by creditor for going over the limit...but never late.  Will my score increase?  can anybody provide me a range of increase?  TY
New Contributor
hdporter

Re: What if I open 2 old accounts

You probably wouldn't see much of an immediate increase, but it would likely improve your scores over the longer term from a more seasoned account mix -- particularly if your overall credit history is young. (I expect we're talking single digits, unless you only have 1 or 2 open accounts at present.)

In addition to the benefit of increasing your average account age, available credit on the accounts would lower your overall utilization - also improving your scores. (But you can get that benefit by opening any new account.)

Note: many creditors won't reopen an account once it's been closed -- merely consider you for a new account.

Once reopened, the accounts need to be occasionally used so that a statement is generated (you can pay in full) -- say once every 6 mo to 12 mo -- to avoid the accounts going inactive.

Starting Score 1/01/10: TU:768 EQ:770
Current Score 8/21/12: TU:776 EQ:779
Goal Score 12/31/10: . TU:800 EQ:800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+