Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is better for your credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is better for your credit score?

To have 1 credit card with a balance that is at 90% utilization

or 3 credit cards with a 30%  utilization each?

I'm trying to increase my score all the while paying my debt down

Thanks!!

8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: What is better for your credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!!

3 with 30% each would be much better, but 3 with 29% each would be even better since 30% is believed to be a threshold

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It also depends on aggregate utilization.

Using your example of having 3 cards... say the limits on the cards are $500, $1000 and $5000.  If you report 30% utilization on all 3, naturally your aggregate utilization will be 30%.

Now, if you report 0 on the two higher limit cards but 90% on the $500 card, your aggregate utilization is 7%.

If you report 0 on the two lower limit cards but 90% on the $5000 card, your aggregate utilization is then 69%.

I've always believed that aggregate utilization carries more weight than individual card utilization (although that DOES matter) so I'd believe scores to be highest in this example if 90% was reported on the single card with the smallest limit as aggregate utilization would be the lowest, even with taking a ding on one card reporting so high.  I would think that score would edge out 30% reported across all 3 cards, but as with everything it could very from profile to profile.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What if two cards reported 29% with the third reporting 32%. I would think having two cards below the 30% threshold would be better score wise than all at 30%

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ohhh I didnt even think of that!  You are sooo right!

Thanks!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What if two cards reported 29% with the third reporting 32%. I would think having two cards below the 30% threshold would be better score wise than all at 30%

This is true, but still aggregate utilization needs to be considered.  If the two cards reporting 29% are small limit cards and the 3rd card reporting 32% is a larger limit card utilization could still be 30%+.  Two $500 cards and one $5000 card using this example would net aggregate utilization at 31%

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess without further information all we can do is use hypotheticals. Whatever the situation I always recommend going with the lowest interest gain.
Message 7 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!!

Neither of the options you mention is optimal.

Fico looks at 3 factors relative to revolving credit. They are:

1) aggregate utilization (this carries the most weight) - 30% is an important milestone for this so you really want to get below that (or 29% to be safe)

2) Number/% of cards reporting a balance (100% reporting balances if you have 3 or more cards typically drops score)

3) Utilization on individual credit cards (really not much to worry about here until you cross above 50%. Also, max out is 90% and you can take a big hit for this.

So if you have 3 cards all with the same CL then I would go with 45% each on two cards and no balance on the 3rd card.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 8 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!!

Neither of the options you mention is optimal.

Fico looks at 3 factors relative to revolving credit. They are:

1) aggregate utilization (this carries the most weight) - 30% is an important milestone for this so you really want to get below that (or 29% to be safe)

2) Number/% of cards reporting a balance (100% reporting balances if you have 3 or more cards typically drops score)

3) Utilization on individual credit cards (really not much to worry about here until you cross above 50%. Also, max out is 90% and you can take a big hit for this.

So if you have 3 cards all with the same CL then I would go with 45% each on two cards and no balance on the 3rd card.

You're right. Good thinking.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.