cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the PERFECT credit mix for a high score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the PERFECT credit mix for a high score?

So I just had all negatives removed and it propelled me into the 800;s on all 3 bureaus. I have the following accounts in my name :

Wells Fargo Credit Card                  $7500.00 limit 0 owed.. reports to all 3 bureaus

American Express Green card        0 balance owed ...reports to all 3 bureaus

Nc State employees CC                  $3500,00 Limits .....0 owed reports only to EQUIFAX

NC State Employees unsecured     $20,000 line of credit 0 owed reports only to EQUIFAX

Ally Financial Truck payment           $39800.00 owed never late ( will be refinancing to NC State Emloyees credit union next month ref divorce will only report to EQUIFAX and not to all 3 bureaus.

Those are my accounts that are active now and I have 2 mortgages 15 and 25 years ago paid perfect.

What should I do to maintain perfect credit with all 3 bureaus? Do I have enough Credit Cards and line of credit now to build a nice file? I will be applying for a mortgage in 2 years probably and will be gardening until then. Remember all accounts with the NC state employees credit union only report to Equifax not all 3. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: What is the PERFECT credit mix for a high score?

@Anonymous wrote:

So I just had all negatives removed and it propelled me into the 800;s on all 3 bureaus. I have the following accounts in my name :

Wells Fargo Credit Card                  $7500.00 limit 0 owed.. reports to all 3 bureaus

Nc State employees CC                  $3500,00 Limits .....0 owed reports only to EQUIFAX

NC State Employees unsecured     $20,000 line of credit 0 owed reports only to EQUIFAX

Ally Financial Truck payment           $39800.00 owed never late ( will be refinancing to NC State Emloyees credit union next month ref divorce will only report to EQUIFAX and not to all 3 bureaus.

Those are my accounts that are active now and I have 2 mortgages 15 and 25 years ago paid perfect.

What should I do to maintain perfect credit with all 3 bureaus? Do I have enough Credit Cards and line of credit now to build a nice file? I will be applying for a mortgage in 2 years probably and will be gardening until then. Remember all accounts with the NC state employees credit union only report to Equifax not all 3. 

There is no single answer to this question, and there is no right or wrong answer.  What may be "perfect" for one person, may not be so for another.

Like "good/better/best", perfect is subjective.  

From the information you've provided, it would appear you've done very well for yourself.  Why not continue doing what you're currently doing and be satisfied with your accomplishments?  Only you can determine if you have enough credit cards and lines of credit.  You're in the 800s with what you currently have.  Terms aren't going to get any better as far as what a lender will offer; you're already likely to get the best terms available with your current file.  

Kudos to you for what you've accomplished.  As the song says, just "keep on keeping on". Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand what you mean about the Ally Financial Truck payment, but basically if you want your scores to be "perfect" you would do pretty much what you are doing but pay off as much as possible of truck loan as fast as possible... ideal would be balance below 9% but above 1%.

Long term I do believe you would add something to your scores by adding one bank credit card (not charge card), but in the near future you might lose some points by lowering your average age of accounts and adding an inquiry.

When you refinance your truck loan I'm sure you're going to wind up losing a bunch of points short term, because all of a sudden you'll have a new loan with a high percentage balance.  But you gotta do what makes financial sense. There's no point in obsessing about a "perfect" score... your scores are super high at this point, higher than you would need to get the best rate on anything; general consensus is that if your FICO scores are 760 or better, you can get whatever you want.

Since you have a 2 year timeline for the mortgage, if I were you I'd add the bank credit card now and do the refinancing now... take your hit on the points... after 2 years of no new credit inquiries or added accounts, I think you'll be in great shape for your mortgage.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand what you mean about the Ally Financial Truck payment, but basically if you want your scores to be "perfect" you would do pretty much what you are doing but pay off as much as possible of truck loan as fast as possible... ideal would be balance below 9% but above 1%.

Long term I do believe you would add something to your scores by adding one bank credit card (not charge card), but in the near future you might lose some points by lowering your average age of accounts and adding an inquiry.

When you refinance your truck loan I'm sure you're going to wind up losing a bunch of points short term, because all of a sudden you'll have a new loan with a high percentage balance.  But you gotta do what makes financial sense. There's no point in obsessing about a "perfect" score... your scores are super high at this point, higher than you would need to get the best rate on anything; general consensus is that if your FICO scores are 760 or better, you can get whatever you want.

Since you have a 2 year timeline for the mortgage, if I were you I'd add the bank credit card now and do the refinancing now... take your hit on the points... after 2 years of no new credit inquiries or added accounts, I think you'll be in great shape for your mortgage.

Thanks , thats what I was thinking . I am going through a divorce and I am financing the truck from our names into my name (Ally Financial when I bought it ) into just my name at the Credit union. I have already been approved for the loan so no points lost there. Since 2011 I have 3 paid in full auto loans and now my truck. One was with 

Ford motor credit new Explorer lease 24 month term perfect

Chase Bank 27K lexus Paid in full after 3 years 2 months

Nissan Financial (Wifes car now that I am on) she has to get it financed in her name so next month that will show paid in full on my credit. Paid perfect for the last 3 1/2 years 

Thanks

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is counterintuitive but SJ is correct, in the short term you will lose points for the closed installment. I lost 29. Fico algorithm likes the credit mix. If you have significantly paid down your loan - origional vs amount left, it could be a good ding. When you acquire a new loan you will owe 100% and start working it down. Fico doesnt care if you put 50% down and only owe half of what its worth. Thier data point is from the amount you borrowed vs what you owe. Good news is it will not take too long to recover as I imagine you will get a great rate. Good Luck and congrats on your scores! 

Message 5 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks , thats what I was thinking . I am going through a divorce and I am financing the truck from our names into my name (Ally Financial when I bought it ) into just my name at the Credit union. I have already been approved for the loan so no points lost there. Since 2011 I have 3 paid in full auto loans and now my truck. One was with 

Ford motor credit new Explorer lease 24 month term perfect

Chase Bank 27K lexus Paid in full after 3 years 2 months

Nissan Financial (Wifes car now that I am on) she has to get it financed in her name so next month that will show paid in full on my credit. Paid perfect for the last 3 1/2 years 

Thanks

Yes but:

1. you will lose points short term when the refi hits

2. when a loan is paid off most people report a drop in points rather than an increase in points (counterintuitive, but that appears to be the reality)

But that doesn't change my advice... make all these moves now, get them out of the way, add a good bank credit card now, garden for 2 years, pay off as much as possible of the truck loan over the next 2 years... and you will probably be golden when the 2 years is over for your mortgage app.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 8
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello AMEXBlack:

The only thing you need to do to maintain "perfect credit" is avoid any negative getting on your file associated with an oversight during re-allocation of assets and obligations.

As far as credit mix is concerned, you are well represented with installment loans but possibly a little light on revolving credit cards.Your current mix is sufficient for an 850 score even though it may not rate "Exceptional".

Side notes:

1) Closed accounts still on file count toward "mix" and AAoA

2) I have read some articles that suggest an ideal ratio of revolving accounts to installment loans is 2:1.

As others have mentioned, an additional revolving credit card from a bank (Visa, MC)  and/or something like a Discover card merits consideration.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will suggest one thing about refinancing your truck. Try to do it with no money down. Many CUs will do 110% to cover registration, title etc. Then, after the loan reports, use the money you were thinking of using for down payment to pay down the principal. You will see a decent gain in FICO scores when the loan hits 80%. Just a suggestion for a quick rebound.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.