cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the time frame for a secured credit card to boost a credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the time frame for a secured credit card to boost a credit score?

Hello,

I am new to this community. About 3 months ago I began looking at new homes, found one we loved, went to the lender and of course my credit score isn't where it needs to be. I recently paid down my credit card to less than 100 dollars (2,000 credit limit) and have cleaned up my credit report quite a bit by disputing claims. I now am at a 638, TWO points from being able to be approved for an FHA loan. So the lender told me to get a secured credit card, and leave a small balance on it. And in a month or so to get back with her. Does this sound like a reasonable idea? And if I do this about how long does it actually take to up my score? A month doesn't sound like a long enough time to give it enough time to go up. Any feedback would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: What is the time frame for a secured credit card to boost a credit score?

The initial report of the card may help or hurt you, depending on the inquires and the average age of your accounts as well as your overall utilization including any debts. In my case, paying 2 secured credit cards on time for 6 months gave me almost 120 points..but I was completely in the dumps at 388 FICO so the 2 cards along with the aging of negative items and the fact that those were the only 2 things reporting positively definitely caused a major increase.

The real question is, how many accounts do you currently have reporting in good standing? How many revolving credit accounts do you have? Three is apparently the magic number, I personally have 4 secured cards and will let them grow in the garden while I focus on removing some baddies on my reports. I am no professional, but I think people like Shogun are going to need a little more information to give you an accurate answer, and even then it really is just a guess. So in a nutshell, what is your TOTAL utility, how many revolving accounts do you have and any other pertinent information should give us the ability to give you some better information.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help. I currently have one unsecured credit card, 2,000 limit with 100 dollar balance. One personal loan with a 1200 dollar balance. And my car loan which has 3400 to go. I have 3 previously paid off loans through my credit union in good standing. I have no late payments on anything. I have 3 collections total, 2 old and one 6 months old. The new secured card would have an initial 500 dollar limit. Thanks
Message 3 of 7
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Slicker .. Glad you asked, I am in the same circumstances
I found the secured card to boost my scores in about 2 cycles but remember after applying you may lose some points but I am sure you will gain them back..
Another option: a credit builder account ( research online)
I have gained 34 points since May from my credit builder account, this was the best move I made.
Good luck
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 4 of 7
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Additionally:
I gained 30 points overnight by becoming an Authorized user (AU) on a friends Amex
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, great! I will do some research on that. Thank you very much for your feedback on this. This process has been pretty grueling to get my few points up but hopefully with some patience I will get where I need to be! Thanks again

Message 6 of 7
Sneekn4u
Contributor

Rebuilding......Just added 2 secured cards, one is a Matrix and the other is a Cap1.The Matrix just posted last week and added 44pts..WOW! IM hoping when the Cap1 reports it helps me that much.

Starting Score 11/2012 EQ: 615
Current Score 3/19/2014 EQ: 687
Current Score 3/19/2014 TU: 694

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge Discover IT $4500 Citi Simplicity Chase Freedom $3000 Cap 1 QS $1500 Cap 1 $300 Macy's $1500 Buckel $550 VS $500 Brylane Home $1000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.