cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is wrong with Equifax, score drop 38 pts?

tag
kayanee
New Visitor

What is wrong with Equifax, score drop 38 pts?

What is wrong with Equifax?  Why are they consistently the lowest score I have?  I recently paid off 3 federal tax liens.  After having paid them off the IRS released and Withdrew them - they no longer even show on my credit reports, it's as if they didn't exist.  And the result?  Equifax dropped 38 points.  I don't understand and it's infuriating to work so hard to clean up my credit and have them do that.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What is wrong with Equifax, score drop 38 pts?

Did you get the score from myFICO?

Do you have any other baddies reporting?

Message 2 of 11
kayanee
New Visitor

No, I have no other bad things. I don't even show any late payments! Transunion went up 28 points as a result, equifax went up 12 I think and good d equifax, down 38. That makes no sense. And I have no debt other than a car payment which is always on time. I feel as though they are sabotaging me.
Message 3 of 11
tea4two
Valued Member

I have the same issue with Equifax. Things that make the other two increase, make Equifax decrease. It is so frustrating!

Message 4 of 11
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

On the Equifax credit report compare the last two reports.  Look at the section on what is hurting your score. Has the reasons change IE a new one or the order of the reasons have they changed?

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, where did your score come from pre-38 pt drop and post 38 pt drop? In other words, what service are you using to monitor that?

Message 6 of 11
kayanee
New Visitor

I'm using a service called Scoresense.  Does that make a difference?

Message 7 of 11
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

scoresense is a FAKO

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 8 of 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@kayanee wrote:

I'm using a service called Scoresense.  Does that make a difference?

Yes, because ScoreSense (I used them before too) doesn't offer FICO scores. They offer FAKOs. These FAKOs factor in stuff that FICO does not, and vice-versa. Anything can trigger a score change with them. Maybe the liens helped you with that FAKO.

ETA...I'm a slow typer.

Message 9 of 11
kayanee
New Visitor

So I'm guessing that My Fico offers a more true picture of what they should be?  I'll have to try that, I need to figure out this Equifax discrepancy, it's frustrating.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.