Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What just happened????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What just happened????

I'm really confused here. My equafax FICO 8 was 650 . I charged 11 dollars on my capital one cc and let the balance show for the 3 credit agencies. TU,EQ,EX. So I could show I was using 5% utilization. And my score dropped 7 points? The explanation was becoz there was zero utilization before. It counts as increase in my balance by 100%??? This is nonesense. Anyone else had this problem? These companies that create these scoring models really try to ruin you. Anyone have an answer for this plz?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: What just happened????

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

As your scores slowly increase due to positive tradelines aging on your reports (and the lack of any new lates or derogs), they will fluctuate a few points up and down due to utilization impact.  I call it "Fico noise". Don't sweat those small score moves because you will gain more than you lose in the long run.  Utilization has no memory and you can manipulate it easily by letting a new balance report on the next statement. 

That being said it's best to report a small balance (like you did) on 1 card out of a minimum of 3 total revolving tradelines.

Is this cap1 card your only CC?  If so, your scores will fluctuate every time you let a different balance report and it drives your utilization beyond a meaningful threshold (0%, 10%, 30%, etc.).

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I have discover and first progress also. When I showed a increase on first progress my others TU and Ex went up 22 and 31 points. Just the equafax went down. Also I just did what I did with cap one with discover now. So I'm worried of another drop showing 100 % balance increase again. And thank you for replying
Message 3 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No. I have discover and first progress also. When I showed a increase on first progress my others TU and Ex went up 22 and 31 points. Just the equafax went down. Also I just did what I did with cap one with discover now. So I'm worried of another drop showing 100 % balance increase again. And thank you for replying

Don't worry about their wording "100% balance increase", it means nothing (as does a $1 to $2 increase). Just know where your utilization per card stands and know that you can play around with your reported balances and see what the outcome will be concerning your score.  Another mistake I have made is seeing an alert that says "the balance on one of your cards as increased" and at the same time seeing a score drop, thinking they were tied together and they were not. Sometimes other factors come into play (new account reporting, AAoA change due to collection falling off, etc.).

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK great. And thank you for the info on this.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Camelot, it wasn't very clear in your earlier posts... but when you let the Capital One card report an $11 balance (up from $0) what were the balances on your other two cards?  I saw you mentioned 2 other revolvers, but I don't recall you saying what their balances/limits were (utilization on each).

Ideally, you'd want those other 2 cards to report zero balances if you're going to show a balance on the CO card.  This of course would put you at 33% of your cards showing a balance.  If one of your other 2 cards had a reported balance across the bureaus, taking your CO card from a $0 balance to a small balance then brings your total revolvers showing a balance to 67%, which, at > 50% could result in a 7 point drop.

My point here is that you just want to make sure that your other 2 revolvers have zero balances reported if you're going to be using your Capital One card to show a small balance monthly as this will maximize your scoring under the utilization sector.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a zero balance reported on my discover card and a 38/750 balance from my first progress card. The total utilization was only I think 6% . I thought I need to show a small balance on all cards??.
Message 7 of 13
newhis
Valued Contributor

The general rule for max points is only 1 card with low balance (could be $10) and others reporting $0

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

For a grand total of $11, you'll get your 7 points back in about a month. It's good to place a charge on those other cards every once in a while just to keep them in play. The trick is to pay the balance before the statement is cut. Now you know what happens when you jump out of optimal status. Not a big deal. If you need to use a card for an emergency or something, the same thing will happen. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for all the info and advice. I'll make sure there's only one balance from one card from now on. And I'll rotate cards each month to make sure there is activity on all
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.