cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's special about store cards vs bank cards?

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

What's special about store cards vs bank cards?

My Nextgen FICO score from Penfed says I'm penalized for not using my store cards enough.  When I shop at a particular store, and have a choice between using that store's card or a bank card, I'm considered a better credit risk if I decide to use that store's card?  Is there an intelligent theory behind that, or is it just random nonsense, to make scores more complicated?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's special about store cards vs bank cards?

@axxy wrote:

My Nextgen FICO score from Penfed says I'm penalized for not using my store cards enough.  When I shop at a particular store, and have a choice between using that store's card or a bank card, I'm considered a better credit risk if I decide to use that store's card?  Is there an intelligent theory behind that, or is it just random nonsense, to make scores more complicated?

Ignore it.  No one's ever seen that result code in FICO '04 and higher, and NextGen is one of the least used of any FICO model, certainly now, maybe ever when looked at historically.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.