Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

What's the difference...

My score dropped a little because one of my credit cards got reported as a line of credit...does anyone know the differenece?

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,865
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: What's the difference...

This card was already reporting, right?

 

Is there a reported CL, and if so, what is it?

 

If no reported CL, what kind of card is it?

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,993
Registered: ‎04-07-2009
0

Re: What's the difference...

Is the credit card for a revolving Home equity loan?

Equifax My FICO score 814 11/29/2016, Discover TU FICO 807 12/29/2016 Citibank Equifax Bankcard FICO score 827 12/27/2016 Average of Accounts 13 years and no Installment accounts, 1 TU inquiry in 2015
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 27,297
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: What's the difference...

They are both revolving lines of credit, as they provide an appproved limit of credit that you are permiited to use at your discretion, with repayment revolving around the amount of your current usage.  Thus, both are scored as revolving accounts. 

 

One distinction is how the revolving credit is made available to the consumer....either by tapping on the account balance directly with the creditor, or using a piece of plastic to increase the balance. 

 

A more significant distinction is that many LOCs, such as a second trust account, are secured, and thus have lower risk.  However, other LOCs are totally unsecured.

 

I presume that Fair Isaac perceives some difference in risk based on the type of revolving credit, so may score a CC different than an LOC, or they may score secured CCs different than unsecured cards.

 

How specific those distinction may be are all part of the proprietary mystery of their scoring algorithms.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Re: What's the difference...


llecs wrote:

This card was already reporting, right?

 

Is there a reported CL, and if so, what is it?

 

If no reported CL, what kind of card is it?


 

Fidelity Amex, reporting a credit line

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Re: What's the difference...


AndySoCal wrote:

Is the credit card for a revolving Home equity loan?


No, no connection to a home equity loan

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 286
Registered: ‎04-28-2011
0

Re: What's the difference...


RobertEG wrote:

They are both revolving lines of credit, as they provide an appproved limit of credit that you are permiited to use at your discretion, with repayment revolving around the amount of your current usage.  Thus, both are scored as revolving accounts. 

 

One distinction is how the revolving credit is made available to the consumer....either by tapping on the account balance directly with the creditor, or using a piece of plastic to increase the balance. 

 

A more significant distinction is that many LOCs, such as a second trust account, are secured, and thus have lower risk.  However, other LOCs are totally unsecured.

 

I presume that Fair Isaac perceives some difference in risk based on the type of revolving credit, so may score a CC different than an LOC, or they may score secured CCs different than unsecured cards.

 

How specific those distinction may be are all part of the proprietary mystery of their scoring algorithms.


interesting it was switching back the next statement, i assume it was an error...

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 32,865
Registered: ‎08-04-2007
0

Re: What's the difference...


aamex wrote:

llecs wrote:

This card was already reporting, right?

 

Is there a reported CL, and if so, what is it?

 

If no reported CL, what kind of card is it?


 

Fidelity Amex, reporting a credit line


Is the CL high? Depending on the FICO version, some versions will drop the CL and balance from util purposes.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.