Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the HECK 26 point drop!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What the HECK 26 point drop!!

Well can someone tell me WHY my score dropped after paying off my auto loan and I still have 2 other installment loans reporting... NO OTHER CHANGES! mix of credit my a** this is a mess! 

Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

I'm kinda refining my installment loan strategy and perhaps how I advise people about installment loans.

1. Everyone should have installment loan history on their reports. If you don't have an installment loan on your reports, you need to open at least one and maybe two share secured loans with a CU like Alliant or SDFCU. This is especially needed for someone that is new to credit or has a thin file. The open installment loan will boost their FICO 08 scores after a few months which would qualify them for better CCs earlier in their credit building process.

2. I don't feel that once your credit is established and that you have at least one closed installment loan on your reports and have all the credit cards that you need, that you need an open installment loan. From reading these forums it appears that an open installment loan only affects the FICO 08 score. When applying for an auto loan or mortgage the lenders will be pulling FICO 04 and FICO auto enhanced scores that don't seem to be affected by having an OPEN installment loan.

So it boils down to:

• Looking to boost scores for the next shiny new credit card = open installment loan.
  • Looking for an auto loan or mortgage and have a closed installment loan on your reports = open installment loan not needed.

I don't think you can include Auto Enhanced in as being known whether open installment lines help or not; I suspect that they very much do on FICO 8 Auto Enhanced as typically industry options just change the weighting of tradelines, and presumably the base underlying assumption that open accounts are more predictive than closed ones that FICO 8 appears to have would hold in all industry options.

Agreed that for current mortgage markets it might be mostly moot, but I think most of the testers have an open installment loan anyway; we have had numerous reports of drops when installment loans closed for FICO '04 when Scorewatch was still on the Beacon 5.0 model, but they were nowhere near as substantial as the significant drops we've seen in FICO 8 for them.  

I don't think I'll be changing my own personal advice that you should have an open installment loan regardless: the costs for doing so are so trivial anyway, comparable to checking a report / score, vs. the money that we waste all the time anyway.  I spend more taking a date out to a comparitively cheap restaurant than I would for the interest paid on the entirety of my 5 year Alliant secured loan... need to keep the costs in perspective.

Maybe should have two reporting as the old data found, I still had 3 open when my auto loan closed and my Beacon 5.0 (a mortgage score) didn't move one iota.  May not matter in all cases, but in my case where I'm a hairsbreadth away from falling down to a much worse mortgage tier, 2-3 points absolutely matters.

Expensive date Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ArmyVietVet wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@jamie123 wrote:

I'm kinda refining my installment loan strategy and perhaps how I advise people about installment loans.

1. Everyone should have installment loan history on their reports. If you don't have an installment loan on your reports, you need to open at least one and maybe two share secured loans with a CU like Alliant or SDFCU. This is especially needed for someone that is new to credit or has a thin file. The open installment loan will boost their FICO 08 scores after a few months which would qualify them for better CCs earlier in their credit building process.

2. I don't feel that once your credit is established and that you have at least one closed installment loan on your reports and have all the credit cards that you need, that you need an open installment loan. From reading these forums it appears that an open installment loan only affects the FICO 08 score. When applying for an auto loan or mortgage the lenders will be pulling FICO 04 and FICO auto enhanced scores that don't seem to be affected by having an OPEN installment loan.

So it boils down to:

• Looking to boost scores for the next shiny new credit card = open installment loan.
  • Looking for an auto loan or mortgage and have a closed installment loan on your reports = open installment loan not needed.

I don't think you can include Auto Enhanced in as being known whether open installment lines help or not; I suspect that they very much do on FICO 8 Auto Enhanced as typically industry options just change the weighting of tradelines, and presumably the base underlying assumption that open accounts are more predictive than closed ones that FICO 8 appears to have would hold in all industry options.

Agreed that for current mortgage markets it might be mostly moot, but I think most of the testers have an open installment loan anyway; we have had numerous reports of drops when installment loans closed for FICO '04 when Scorewatch was still on the Beacon 5.0 model, but they were nowhere near as substantial as the significant drops we've seen in FICO 8 for them.  

I don't think I'll be changing my own personal advice that you should have an open installment loan regardless: the costs for doing so are so trivial anyway, comparable to checking a report / score, vs. the money that we waste all the time anyway.  I spend more taking a date out to a comparitively cheap restaurant than I would for the interest paid on the entirety of my 5 year Alliant secured loan... need to keep the costs in perspective.

Maybe should have two reporting as the old data found, I still had 3 open when my auto loan closed and my Beacon 5.0 (a mortgage score) didn't move one iota.  May not matter in all cases, but in my case where I'm a hairsbreadth away from falling down to a much worse mortgage tier, 2-3 points absolutely matters.

Expensive date Smiley Wink

$20/person isn't that expensive at a restaurant where the entrees are $13+ and that's if you're not ordering drinks; not taking a date to a $10/person place generally Smiley Happy.  $36 dollars in interest for that 5 year Alliant loan IIRC, was less than two yuppie foodstamps.

        
Message 23 of 31
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones......paid off my loan in Jan 2013 (last scheduled payment) right before I closed on my mortgage in Feb.  I had gotten worried because of what I read on this forum and did not want my score to drop because of the mortgage and knowning I was going to open up some new credit.....worried for nothing I had no change at all.....I still had another car loan reporting and student loans.  The mortgage reported in March and I got a slight bump from that, but nothing major.  

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 24 of 31
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Vehicle loans unfortunately are apparently muy bueno under FICO 8; I took an 18 point drop when my auto loan closed and I had other installment loans though they're reporting as OTHER on Equifax.  Not certain that makes a difference or not.  My score hasn't recovered even with several card balances paid off and held constant, so I'm assuming the drop from 708 to 690 was explicitly the car loan being paid.  

Not happy but that's the breaks I guess.  My Beacon 5.0 didn't budge an inch, so I think FICO 8 might be counting stuff a little differently at least on Equifax.

I'll let you know what happens when my trade in reports as paid and my new auto loan hits the CR...

Smiley Wink

Actually I'm really looking forward to seeing that information!  I don't think it mattered under earlier versions but we've always theorized there were different strata of installment loans and this may be pretty good proof of that.

I will definitely let you know!

On a side note, I had a 5k Lending Club personal loan hit my reports last week... TU went up 3 points... EQ and EX didn't move.  TU seems a bit weird... I gain points with reasons being "your total retail CC balance has decreased" but I never see reasons like that from EQ and EX.

The Lending Club loan reports as installment and I also have 5 Sallie Mae turned Navient student loans in addition to the new/old car loans that are about to be added/updated.

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit score didn't change at all when my new auto loan reported in December, but just took a 19 point hit on EQ and a 15 point hit on EX when the payoff of my old auto loan showed up.  Makes no sense.

Just to update my earlier posts...   my previous auto loan ($16k) has reported as paid.  My new auto loan ($44k) just hit 2 of my reports...  EQ reported no change in FICO score.

EX reported a 6 point gain.

No report yet from TU.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 25 of 31
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention when I posted earlier in this thread that, at some level, apparently depending on the information in your CR , having an open auto loan doesn't matter or factor into your FICO 8 score.   Last year I pulled my scores and FICO 8 was showing only about 5 points off of perfect between all three CRAs.  I had no active auto/installment loan, but I did have a mortgage - it seems those are different categories though, but maybe the mortgage was keeping my score from being dinged for no installment loans reporting?

Message 26 of 31
lolows

EQ/Fico-573, EX-646, TU/Fico-607 as of May 18, 2014
Message 27 of 31
lolows

Well, I received an alert this morning from myfico and my score (experian) dropped 21 points because my Home Depot credit card balance dropped $87. It was not payed off. I don't know what to think
EQ/Fico-573, EX-646, TU/Fico-607 as of May 18, 2014
Message 28 of 31
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

Eh, it seems the score alerts are tied to certain events, but the FICO score may have changed prior to and then again from the indicated alert.  For instance, my score alert today told me EX had reported a credit inquiry (yeah, my seedling died last night) but also reported a three point increase in score at the same time.  Clearly my inquiry didn't raise my score, so it had already risen prior and then took another hit due to the event that triggered the alert.  I wish there were regular updates so you could see your score in real time and determine the effects of various events as they happened rather that trying to do a post-mortem on an alert.   

Message 29 of 31
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Vehicle loans unfortunately are apparently muy bueno under FICO 8; I took an 18 point drop when my auto loan closed and I had other installment loans though they're reporting as OTHER on Equifax.  Not certain that makes a difference or not.  My score hasn't recovered even with several card balances paid off and held constant, so I'm assuming the drop from 708 to 690 was explicitly the car loan being paid.  

Not happy but that's the breaks I guess.  My Beacon 5.0 didn't budge an inch, so I think FICO 8 might be counting stuff a little differently at least on Equifax.

I'll let you know what happens when my trade in reports as paid and my new auto loan hits the CR...

Smiley Wink

Actually I'm really looking forward to seeing that information!  I don't think it mattered under earlier versions but we've always theorized there were different strata of installment loans and this may be pretty good proof of that.

I will definitely let you know!

On a side note, I had a 5k Lending Club personal loan hit my reports last week... TU went up 3 points... EQ and EX didn't move.  TU seems a bit weird... I gain points with reasons being "your total retail CC balance has decreased" but I never see reasons like that from EQ and EX.

The Lending Club loan reports as installment and I also have 5 Sallie Mae turned Navient student loans in addition to the new/old car loans that are about to be added/updated.

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit score didn't change at all when my new auto loan reported in December, but just took a 19 point hit on EQ and a 15 point hit on EX when the payoff of my old auto loan showed up.  Makes no sense.

Just to update my earlier posts...   my previous auto loan ($16k) has reported as paid.  My new auto loan ($44k) just hit 2 of my reports...  EQ reported no change in FICO score.

EX reported a 6 point gain.

No report yet from TU.

I stand corrected... EQ reported a 4 point loss this morning with the auto loan report.  It had reported no change when the old one reported paid off.

So... payoff and new loan results in 4 point EQ loss... 6 point EX gain. 

Both 686.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.