Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck is Equifax doing?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: What the heck is Equifax doing?

@Anonymous wrote:

Which EX FICO does your credit union use?  DCU provides free EX FICO end of each month that is different than the EX FICO that they use for loans which is different than the EX FICO my I asked my mortgage brokerto pull on trimerge - all same day...I've questioned for some time the differing FICO scores that seem to be used and who utilizes which.  .

Equifax = EQ, Experian = EX, TransUnion = TU Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The score offered via DCU is an EQ FICO and is the same Beacon 5.0 version as found on here.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry bought EXFICO from myfico o 6/2/2011 same day reported on DCU and they are 8 points different.  I'm monitoring EX score closely becasue I'm working with DCU on mortgage...and the broker assures me they are different.  Open a CU account at DCU and see for yourself.  They are from TWO different algorithms. And, they vary by which is greater...I'm trying to get above 760 to get preferred rate

Message 13 of 19
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

llecs is correct here, and I would go a step further by saying that I have never encountered an installment loan institution that uses the plain jane FICO.  That's worked to my advantage, truth be told - I have over 8 auto loans paid and never late on my credit report currently.   As a result the score they pull is actually higher than the FICO score, because they were weighing more heavily on auto loan history than everything else.  Mortgage loans, to my knowledge, frequently do the same thing - there isn't as much weight put towards credit card history as installment history and general payment activity.

Credit cards, on the other hand, seem to just use the boilerplate FICO scores, but get butthurt on the smallest of infractions.  Risk obsessive, I call them.  My credit union is the only exception; they look at your credit card history as more important than everything else, which got me a good card with them since I have over 30 credit cards in my history with not one missed payment.

Which EX FICO does your credit union use?  DCU provides free EX FICO end of each month that is different than the EX FICO that they use for loans which is different than the EX FICO my I asked my mortgage brokerto pull on trimerge - all same day...I've questioned for some time the differing FICO scores that seem to be used and who utilizes which.  .

They won't share that info.  i just happen to know it to be the case given empirical evidence.  They issued me a credit card, no questions asked, my highest credit limit (as per my sig).  When I talked to the gal she flat out said that credit card performance dictates whether they will give you a card; current credit limits dictate how much credit you get.  But they wouldn't share the type of scoring model they use.

On the mortgage side I know it's the case because I worked for one of the companies who issues mortgage credit reports...you've likely heard of Rapid Rescore, that was one of the products the company offered.  I've spoken to many a mortgage company who just didn't care about that Macy's card with a 120 day late showing, they cared about the fact that the applicant was timely with their installment loans and their past mortgage.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can only speak for my experience as a long-time DCU customer with relationship with branch mgr.  My monthly EX FICO provided free is different from myfico score and the trimerge score all on the same day.  And, I know for a fact there are multiple FICO algorithms that are used, some becasue of sector standard, e.g. credit cards, and others becasue the institution does not want to pay for upgrade FICO algorithms.  The time is long past that FICO=FICO.  And, the consumer is the last to know, much less understand.

Message 15 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I can only speak for my experience as a long-time DCU customer with relationship with branch mgr.  My monthly EX FICO provided free is different from myfico score and the trimerge score all on the same day.  And, I know for a fact there are multiple FICO algorithms that are used, some becasue of sector standard, e.g. credit cards, and others becasue the institution does not want to pay for upgrade FICO algorithms.  The time is long past that FICO=FICO.  And, the consumer is the last to know, much less understand.

You keep typing in EX (Experian) FICO. DCU offers the EQ (Equifax) FICO score.

My only concern is that this might confuse new members as to what product DCU actually offers.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confuse or mislead - they are not the same

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

My guess is that Equifax is doing probably the same thing that TransUnion and Experian are doing...

That is known as "Protecting their business."

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are multiple versions of EQ FICO, and there are also enhanced versions of each one.

The most commonly used EQ FICO is BEACON 5.0 (2005, and the one available on myFICO.com), however, some lenders still use the 98 (1998) version or even the newer BEACON 9.0 (2009) version.  Along with those 3 versions, lenders may also use an enhanced score which would also give you a different score.

Like others have suggested, ask your CU specifically which version of the EQ FICO score they use, and they'll most likely tell you something other than BEACON 5.0.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.