cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to Make of Recent Score Changes between Bureaus??

tag
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

What to Make of Recent Score Changes between Bureaus??

In July I had $11,000 in credit card debt (about 65% util on all four cards evenly) and my student loans ($175k - a lot i know!).  I got a secured car loan for that amount to pay off my debt w a lower interest rate. 

My Equifax was highest at around 730 and Transunion lowest at around 700. 

The week all the credit card payoffs went through, all three went up varying amounts.

Then, a couple weeks later, my installment loan went through on my credit report, and Equifax DROPPED 37 points, and TU dropped 2.  Then suddenly today, like another week later (with no explanation associated w/ it at all on my myFICO app), my TU went up 30 points.

WHAT THE HECK!! So now my TU is almost 760 and my EQ is only 705. That just seems like such an extreme difference (both in the end result and the movement of points) to what is the exact same situation. does anybody have any insight into why this would be different? 

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What to Make of Recent Score Changes between Bureaus??

@Anne1208 wrote:

In July I had $11,000 in credit card debt (about 65% util on all four cards evenly) and my student loans ($175k - a lot i know!).  I got a secured car loan for that amount to pay off my debt w a lower interest rate. 

My Equifax was highest at around 730 and Transunion lowest at around 700. 

The week all the credit card payoffs went through, all three went up varying amounts.

Then, a couple weeks later, my installment loan went through on my credit report, and Equifax DROPPED 37 points, and TU dropped 2.  Then suddenly today, like another week later (with no explanation associated w/ it at all on my myFICO app), my TU went up 30 points.

WHAT THE HECK!! So now my TU is almost 760 and my EQ is only 705. That just seems like such an extreme difference (both in the end result and the movement of points) to what is the exact same situation. does anybody have any insight into why this would be different? 

Would have to see the tradeline reporting data to make any sort of educated guess TBH.

Not surprised on the Equifax dropping that substantially from what you describe on a FICO 8 model when it comes to installment utilization, can't explain TU's change unless the reporting data is simply different.

Full gory details and more on the installment utilization issue here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-tradeline-utilization-thread/...

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.