Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen to my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What will happen to my credit score?

Hello,

I am on my journey of rebuilding my credit. I opened 2 Capital One secured cards over 2 years ago, 1 Discover secured card last summer and recently 1 Self Lender small loan. Discover has just informed me that they will be returning my deposit since my account has remained in good standing. Discover also offers cash back and Capital offers zilch. I want to cancel the 2 Capital One cards- I can't even get a credit line increase with them. Is this a bad idea?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What will happen to my credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello,

I am on my journey of rebuilding my credit. I opened 2 Capital One secured cards over 2 years ago, 1 Discover secured card last summer and recently 1 Self Lender small loan. Discover has just informed me that they will be returning my deposit since my account has remained in good standing. Discover also offers cash back and Capital offers zilch. I want to cancel the 2 Capital One cards- I can't even get a credit line increase with them. Is this a bad idea?

Kinda - before cancelling, take a trip through the Capital One Prequalifier and see if they'll just issue a new unsecured card to your now-better profile.  Then cancel.

Cap One is a great lender, but they have a nasty habit of keeping cards in the same bucket you opened them in - forever...so a significant change in your credit requires a new card before they'll treat you like your profile deserves

Message 2 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

I'd suggest getting 2 cards to replace the 2 secured cards before closing them. An unsecured Cap1 card is a good ideal since you already have an account with them.
Message 3 of 9
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Go and do the cap one prequal. You very likely can get a Quick Silver with rewards and no annual fee. And yes, close the two secured cards. No, your AAoA won't be affected. 

What are your FICO scores?

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't get approved through the Capital One prequalification. I guess I'll just hang on to the 2 cards.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I didn't get approved through the Capital One prequalification. I guess I'll just hang on to the 2 cards.

I'd recommend closing one of them, actually.  I recall a while back Cap One had a policy of only allowing a maximum of 2 subprime cards per person...it may be the case that they simply won't offer another since you already have 2

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense. So my score won't be affected by closing 1?
Message 7 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Only if it increases your UTI quite a bit since you'll be losing the available credit on that card. It won't affect your AAoA since it'll stay on your reports for another 10 years or so
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so - especially if the one you close is not your oldest account...that said, eventually you are going to want to close both of these becasue they won't grow, so...best to worry less about short-term score impacts and more about your long-term plans

Good Luck!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.