cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause a 60 point drop in 1 month?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What would cause a 60 point drop in 1 month?

CK scores are not that close.  Get the real scores from Total.  My real scores scores are about 20 points below my wifes but CK has me 75 points above her.  With just 1 card in the mix you will get wide ranges from real and CK.  If you get a secured card from Merrick  or one several others it will raise you score and help stop wild swings.   CK is pulling a very old closed acount on me and seems to love it. 

Message 31 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like the OP isn't going to provide any FICO scores for us or is unwilling to.  I guess the only other question based on his VS 3.0 scores is what would cause a 60 point drop on them that may not necessarily cause a drop (or a significant one anyway) under FICO models?

Message 32 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@newhis wrote:

Please go to freecreditscore.com and open an account, you will get a free EX report/score (FICO) every 30 days.

Then you can see what changes drop/increase your EX FICO.

Don't let your only credit card report $0, let it report $3.

Freecreditscore uses Experian, but all the issues are with TU, so I don't think Freecreditscore's scores would be meaningful.

Message 33 of 43
accidentalpancake
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit Karma, Capital One, Credit Sesame and Trans Union itself all score within 1 point of each other, so while the number itself may be questionable, it's general level and accuracy of scoring is pretty reliable.

CK, CO and SC all provide a VantageScore 3.0 score from TU.  Those are not FICO scores.

I suggest going to Credit Check Total and for $1 you can get all 3 of your FICO 08 scores.  Perhaps whatever the 60 point issue is happens to be something that doesn't impact the FICO models but does on VS 3.0.  Who knows.  That would be a start, though.

This right here. They swapped their scoring model over the last month, and I saw a 60 point drop as well, and I had NO changes in my profile. Not a one.

I don't get the change, personally. They are now completely irrelevant.

FICO as of Feb 2017:
EQ 712 | 728 TU | 713 EX
Message 34 of 43
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

It is frustrating when people consistently post the Vantage and other FAKO scores without going to pull a real FICO.

On CCT and my other *actual* FICO 08 provided by WalMart, Amazon and Merrick; my TU is a 680. At some point CK dropped it way down. No real reason I saw, and now it's 612 on CK.

So OP unless you pull your FICOs and verify that it actually dropped that much...you're not going to get your question answered. Because while the data in the CK point is typical accurate, Vantage rewards/penalizes differently than FICO. And thats what makes it a useless score.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 35 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX wrote:
It is frustrating when people consistently post the Vantage and other FAKO scores without going to pull a real FICO.

While I do agree with this, it's important to understand that a lot of people on this forum especially newer members don't yet know the difference between a FICO score an a VS 3.0 score (CK).  They think they're posting a FICO score or that these scores are the same.  All we can do is educate our newer members about these things.  While it may be frustrating reading these threads very often for us, there's a good chance that this could be the author's first time encountering the subject.

Message 36 of 43
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

But he's been told half a dozen times that he's looking at a FAKO and how to get the FICO and yet he continues to "argue" (for lack of a better term) about the drop.
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 37 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well then, what he's asking is why his FAKO score dropped 60 points.  Personally I wouldn't care about this, but if the OP does he's more than welcome to ask why.  While the score drop may not be meaningful to most, a 60 point drop obviously came due to some reason.  Certainly it's tougher to give him answers as we know far less as to what impacts VS 3.0 scores compared to FICO scores.  I agree as many others have that he should obtain his FICO 08 scores and go from there though. 

Message 38 of 43
elim
Senior Contributor

Here's 2 1/2 years of my scores. These are updated on the first of every month only. If I did it weekly there would be even bigger swings.

My V3 TU has had the biggest swings of all (sometimes for no reason at all). Don't sweat it, It bounces back.

Check your Fico's   :]

cftfgyhui.jpg

Message 39 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well then, what he's asking is why his FAKO score dropped 60 points.  Personally I wouldn't care about this, but if the OP does he's more than welcome to ask why.  While the score drop may not be meaningful to most, a 60 point drop obviously came due to some reason.  Certainly it's tougher to give him answers as we know far less as to what impacts VS 3.0 scores compared to FICO scores.  I agree as many others have that he should obtain his FICO 08 scores and go from there though. 

Several people suggested I get the FICO scores, so I did. They are all between 603 and 614. The Score predictor says I should be in the 750-800 range in 1 year which suits me fine, but I somehow don't beleive it. My baddies all drop off in May and June, so the derog TLs will be gone. I will then have a single credit card with a $200 limit and a single digit balance.

The question now is - to pay off the car loan or not to pay off the car loan. There is $8500 left, 13 payments made on time (never a late, they take it right out of my bank account). 2 years left, probable house purchase 15-18 months from now. I have the cash to pay it off today. Should I or is it actually helping me with he score repair? The reason I ask is the last loan I had would give me a point or two while I was making payments and the balance went down, but the second I paid it off I lost 40 points (it was a mortgage).

Message 40 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.