cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats better for score, one card with high util or several with low?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats better for score, one card with high util or several with low?

^ huh lol
Message 11 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have about 5 cards that I have balances on, overall my utilization is about 24%.  I am hoping for a nice CLI with NFCU, they have a balance transfer option that is attractive so I am considering putting all of my balances on the one card which will likely put that utilization at 70% or so.  Am I better off in terms of FICO to go that route or spread the balances over these several cards? 

Why are you worried about score?  Either way you'd need to pay down your balances before apping.

@Mattopotamus wrote:

On paper it sounds nice only having a single card with a balance, but it is always better to spread the utilization over multiple cards if it means keeping a single card below 30%

Number of balances is a smaller factor than revolving utilization.  That's why number of balances is part of the optimizing utilization recommendation for when apping.  Worry about it when your revolving utilization is low and you're looking to eke out addtional points.

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If we are only talking about this in terms of FICO then you may not want to transfer. You need to think about both your overall utilization and your per card utilization. I wouldn't reccommend bumbing one card up to 70%. Here's a pretty good explanation of how that works: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/balance-transfer-credit-cards/balance-transfer-affects-...

Again, the answer above is assuming you care more about FICO than paying extra interest.

Message 13 of 16
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Anecdotal evidence here ....

I have near 100% utilization on one card $19K/$20K,  near 50% on another $7K/$15K, and a few balances of < 20% on a few other cards, but a total of 12% or so overall.  My TU is over 800, and EX is in the 770's.  So you can have high individual card utilization, and balances on other cards, and keep a high score.  As long as your overall utilization is still low and you have a strong CR otherwise (installment, mortgages, AAOA etc), IME.

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have no reason to look for new credit, do what saves money in the coming months. A great offer is in store be it surprise BT checks or new product preapprovals.
Message 15 of 16
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Anecdotal evidence here ....

I have near 100% utilization on one card $19K/$20K,  near 50% on another $7K/$15K, and a few balances of < 20% on a few other cards, but a total of 12% or so overall.  My TU is over 800, and EX is in the 770's.  So you can have high individual card utilization, and balances on other cards, and keep a high score.  As long as your overall utilization is still low and you have a strong CR otherwise (installment, mortgages, AAOA etc), IME.

No doubt you are talking about Fico 08 scores.

I'd be quite interested how you score on EQ Fico score 5 (Fico 04) in particular and Fico mortgage scores in general.

My experience is EQ Fico 04 dings score rather severely for "high" individual card utilization and a large percentage/number of cards reporting a balance - even if AG UT is held low. Really, all mortgage scoring models are less lenient than Fico 08 when it comes to a high #/% of cards reporting a balance. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.