Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When asking for EE backfires ... cautionary tale

tag
BIGSTARXXX
New Contributor

When asking for EE backfires ... cautionary tale

So, I have been having a lot of success the last year getting old TL's (IIB) related to my Ch 13 (filed 2010, discharged last year) deleted/excluded from my credit reoprts. A lot of the baddies dropped off on their own, but I had a least 18 entries across all the agencies removed by asking for Early Exclusion. - most sucesss via TU, where I had a bunch removed 6 months early.

Well, I only have a 5-6 to go, so I thought I would try my luck on a few from Equifax. They were due to fall off Oct/Nov this year. I "disputed" online - I had checked "Other" in the Reason box, and then simply added in the Comments that "I am not disputing, I am asking for Early Excluision".

Today, I got an alert on my EQ report, and was schocked to see that one of the accounts I asked for Early Exclusion had actually had a status change from Included in Ch 13, $0 Bal to a Charge Off with a 15K balance. This increased my Util from 1% to 40%, and dropped my score 30 points (654 to 624). I rechecked my Ch 13 records, and apparently this creditor had actually never filed a claim in my case -- looks like they did a charge of, and the updated status is correct. The DOFD is Oct 2009, so it actually will still come off my reports in October, so at least I will get the points back in a few months. Oddly, it appears to have been reported for a long time as IIB/$0 bal (not sure how long), and I am guessing that my request for deletion actually resulted in a more thorough investigation on the creditor's part.

I guess this is a cautionary tale to let you know that sometimes it's best not to poke the bear !  I probably should have just originally called EQ to "dispute" - letting them I know Is simply was looking for an EE so as not to trigger a formal dispute/investigation.

I did call EQ today, and they did tell me it will drop off in Oct 2009, so not all is lost -- still a temporary set-back, but it's self inflicted. My other reports do not have this particualr TL, and scores are mid 600's now. I am not looking for more credit this year, so damage is minimal I suppose, but a big disappointment nonetheless.

Ouch ...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: When asking for EE backfires ... cautionary tale

Thanks for the data point. Anytime you dispute, it is possibke that info will be updated to more correct info. At least it will be gone soon.

Sorry, I forgot to welcome you to the forums!!!!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Darn. Good to hear....your data point(s) and that it will come off soon. 

Message 3 of 6
BIGSTARXXX
New Contributor

Thanks ! I mostly lurk, but I thought this was a interesing, and a lesson learned

I did get some small good news in that one of the other accounts I disputed on EQ will drop off, and I can always call in to EQ

next month to see if I can get an EE on that one other  baddie (being careful to clearly say I am not disputing , and simply asking

for EE - actually the EQ rep said to call back next month  so fingers crossed)

I need to be more patient Smiley Frustrated:

Message 4 of 6
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Though lesson learned. Kudos to you for taking the whole thing in stride. That's a refreshing attitude from most whiny, cry baby, attitudes! Here's to it being gone next month, or worse case, in October!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mostly lurk

Ya think? Smiley LOL
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.