cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a deleted account factor into scoring?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When does a deleted account factor into scoring?

I assume automatically but...

So here is the deal I disputed three accounts on my EQ report.  An auto loan that had 4 30 days late.  I disputed as never late.  An HSBC CC that was due to fall off in a few months. I disputed as not still liable (hoping they would just delete) and a loan that was the worst item on my report (major delinquencies, but PIF.) I disputed as no longer liable just to try and get rid of this after going the GW route mutiple times.

Last night I got an email from scorewatch saying that my score had increased due to changes in my account.  Sure enough I pull it up and I went from 693 to 702!!! Officially in the 700 club, so happy. The accounts that changed were the Auto Loan, they came back with 3 30 days instead of 4 (still not correct) but I'm trying GW from here.  The Loan was not mentioned as a factor in the increase..

My question is this, so this morning I get another email, this one from Equifax stating the Loan dispute is resolved.  They deleted that account!!! I figured that was a complete longshot since I already GW'd them multiple times.  So should I expect another update from Scorewatch and, if so, when? I have to assume the increase last night had nothing to do with that account, correct? Thoughts?? Thanks so much

You guys rock!! 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: When does a deleted account factor into scoring?

Your scores don't exist until someone checks your report and crunches a score. That could be you pulling your score report, a lender doing the same, or Scorewatch moseying on through. So if Equifax no longer shows this account, your potential score (so to speak) has improved.

You can wait to hear from SW, or you can pull a score and report if you're sure that the TL is no longer on it. Depends on your patience. Smiley Wink

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

I just had my only OC delete last night and my score didnt budge.  I was excited and bought another pair of scores from here and nothing.  Even my FAKO from EX didnt budge.  Smiley Sad

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 3 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@BrandonSS wrote:

I just had my only OC delete last night and my score didnt budge.  I was excited and bought another pair of scores from here and nothing.  Even my FAKO from EX didnt budge.  Smiley Sad

Smiley Sad

How old was it, and do you have other serious negatives (60-90-120-150 late, charge-offs, outside collections)? And it was no longer on your newly-pulled reports, right?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 8
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Smiley Sad

How old was it, and do you have other serious negatives (60-90-120-150 late, charge-offs, outside collections)? And it was no longer on your newly-pulled reports, right?

It was 6 years.   So that probably didnt help but dropping my AAoA by .2 or so. 

I do have some, 3 settled collections.  I have a few lates, some serious in there.  Not much in the past 2 years though.  And yes it was gone from my reports I pulled today Smiley Sad

I have some GW'ing to do i suppose.  Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Yeah, I'm afraid that since you still have some serious negatives on there, they're still holding your score down, especially if they were more recent than the deleted one.

But now you've got one less to get through!

If you can, try to target the most recent negatives. You're more likely to see a score improvement if the most recent one can be GW'd off, rather than the oldest.

Message 6 of 8
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

HTSU will you look at my thread in the Rebuilding forum?  It's lengthy but i would appreciate it.

Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I will, but it will have to be later on. I've been playing serious hooky from my work-at-home job today, and I need to get back on the clock. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.