Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: When is an account no longer considered "new"?

JLK93 wrote:

I had a similar experience. If you don't mind my asking, how much did your FICO 8 scores increase? How many inqquiries did you have in the last year?

17 and 18 points for two of them. One inquiry.

JLK93 wrote:

Youngest account aging to 1 year seems to be a significant rebucketing event for FICO 8 and 9.

Certainly does. Good to hear it from you too.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

my-own-fico wrote:

JLK93 wrote:

I had a similar experience. If you don't mind my asking, how much did your FICO 8 scores increase? How many inqquiries did you have in the last year?

17 and 18 points for two of them. One inquiry.

I picked up 19 points on my Experian Auto Enhanced score.

Established Contributor

My youngest account is now 15 months old. I was able to locate  reason codes from a couple of times when my FICO 8 Auto Enhanced scores temporarily dipped below 850. The new account reason code disappeared when youngest account aged to 1 year. 

The 2 following examples are separated by approximately 1 month.

Equifax FICO 8 Auto Enhanced reason statements with youngest account <1 year:

1. You opened a new credit account relatively recently. [?]
  2. You have not established a long installment credit history. [?]
  3. There are no recent balances on your revolving credit accounts. [?]
  4. You've recently been looking for credit. [?]

Equifax FICO 8 Auto Enhanced statements with youngest account >1 year:

1. There are no recent balances on your revolving credit accounts. [?]
  2. You have not established a long installment credit history. [?]
  3. You've recently been looking for credit. [?]
  4. You have no recent activity from an auto loan. [?]

Recent Equifax FICO 8 Bankcard Enhanced reason statements, from Citi, with youngest account at 14 months:

1. Length of time installment loans have been established
  2. Lack of recent consumer finance company account information.

FICO 04 reason statements still include:

1. You opened a new credit account relatively recently. [?]

I'm not sure any useful information can be obtained from these reason codes. The youngest account reason code does seem to disappear for FICO 8 when youngest account ages to 1 year. It continues to be generated for FICO 04 with youngest account over 1 year.

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

the timing of an account turning 1 year old often coincides with inquiries turning one year old,   

Actually, that doesn't happen all that often. This is only an issue if the inquiry occurs in the first 2 days of the month. The oldest account always ages to one year of the 1st. Anyone with daily credit monitoring should have no difficulty separating the 2 aging events.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

JLK93 wrote:

CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

the timing of an account turning 1 year old often coincides with inquiries turning one year old,   

Actually, that doesn't happen all that often. This is only an issue if the inquiry occurs in the first 2 days of the month. The oldest account always ages to one year of the 1st. Anyone with daily credit monitoring should have no difficulty separating the 2 aging events.

So, just for clarity, if a person had an account that was opened on 01/09/2016, and he pulled his credit scores on 01/16/2017, you are saying that the FICO 8 algorithm would not consider his account 1 year old?  He'd need to wait until Feb 1 before the algorithm would classify that account as 1 year old?

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

JLK93 wrote:

CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

So, just for clarity, if a person had an account that was opened on 01/09/2016, and he pulled his credit scores on 01/16/2017, you are saying that the FICO 8 algorithm would not consider his account 1 year old?  He'd need to wait until Feb 1 before the algorithm would classify that account as 1 year old?

No, the algorithm will consider the account 1 year old on 01/01/2017. If an inquiry was taken on the same date, the algorithm will consider the inquiry 1 year old on 01/08/2017.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

Fascinating!  So an account often turns an integer year value in age before it is exactly n.0000 years old.

And again, just so I am sure I am understanding you, this is true for any integer value.  It would be true about an account turning 4 years old as well, right?  And it is not confined to one's oldest account, or one's youngest account, necessarily -- it's simply how the algorithm calculates any account turning over into a new year integer value.  Am I right?

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CreditGuyInDixie wrote:

Fascinating!  So an account often turns an integer year value in age before it is exactly n.0000 years old.

And again, just so I am sure I am understanding you, this is true for any integer value.  It would be true about an account turning 4 years old as well, right?  And it is not confined to one's oldest account, or one's youngest account, necessarily -- it's simply how the algorithm calculates any account turning over into a new year integer value.  Am I right?

Yes. You are correct. The algorithm considers all accounts as opened on the 1st of the month. This applies for all scoring and aging purposes. All account aging occurs on the 1st. This includes FICO 9. At some point in the future this will probably change, but it won't happen soon.

It's not just confined to new year aging. It applies to all aging.

It is frequently said that a person must have 6 months of credit history to generate a FICO score. I first generated a FICO score with 5 months and 11 days of credit history. From the FICO scoring perspective, it was 6 months. It is possible to generate a FICO score with 5 months and 1 day of credit history. 

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

I really love it that I am still learning new stuff on this site.  (Pretty regulalry.)  This aging-on-the-1st turns out to be a very valuable thing to know.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

That's fascinating... what I'm even more surprised about is the lack of data on the effect of the youngest account aging 2 years... is this true?  It shouldn't be too difficult to to determine.  I'll most likely have my final "new" account by next month.  I will be taking at LEAST a 2 year hiatus from any applications for credit.  However, that gives rise to a question about rebucketing events:  Does every rebucketing event result in a change in reason codes? 

FICO 8:  EQ:687  TU:728  EX:735

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.