cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will I see an increase?

tag
artanis50

When will I see an increase?

I almost ALWAYS pay my credit cards on time.  I moved from MA to FL in November and had a newborn baby to take care of.  In all the craziness, I missed payments on 2 cards during that time.  Now my score has tanked (625)!  I have $0 credit card debt, an $18,000 loan for a truck, and a mortgage that will actually be paid off this week (selling the property).  I KNOW that paying on time is important, I've already tried to request goodwill adjustments with no success.  My husband and I want to buy a house this year, but we can't move forward until my score is above 700 (ideally above 720).  The score estimators don't tell me anything about how my score will change with continued on time payments, so I'm asking those of you who may have been in the same situation.  

How long did it take to see a score increase after making continued on time payments?  

Thanks ...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: When will I see an increase?

You're really asking about the impact of 30-day lates, I think.

The following Google search will yield some useful information:

site:myfico.com impact 30 day lates

Message 2 of 9
artanis50

THanks.  

It's a little more complicated than a few 30 day lates, but I didn't want to bore everyone with the details.  I guess I just need to be patient.  

I have a few old really BADDIES - 

1 account paid for less than full balance that should fall off April 2014 (any idea what DAY??  will it fall off by the 1st of the month?)

1 paid collection from Jan 2009 which won't be gone until 2015. 

The more recent stuff is a 60 day late and a 30 day late on Capital One and Chase respectively.  Which I'm assuming is hurting me the most because it's recent ... 

Should be interesting to see how my score changes (if at all) in April when the baddie above falls off. 

Message 3 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

The impact of derogatories varies with their severity and age.

This forum contains a lot of detailed information on this subject, and it's possible to do searches like the one illustrated above to find out more.

Message 4 of 9
artanis50

Yes, I understand it's possible to search for information.  I've already done that.  Obviously, I haven't found something that's helpful, which is why I created my own post.  

Message 5 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@artanis50 wrote:

Yes, I understand it's possible to search for information.  I've already done that.  Obviously, I haven't found something that's helpful, which is why I created my own post.  

Unfortunately sometimes we get short replies when it comes to truly complicated calculations (which we don't understand more than anecdotally): it's challenging enough to make a guess when we're talking clean files, mixed files like yours and mine are incredibly difficult to estimate.  The brevity of the response wasn't anything more than that in my estimation, wasn't intentioned to be rude or anything of the sort.

You might see a boost when your old derogatory falls off in April (could be first of the month, I'm not an expert on specific exclusion dates honestly) especially in the scores relating to a mortgage which you intimate you care most about.  It depends how it's counted, the three year old collection might be similar in which case you may not get much (as derog type tends to get scored logarithmically, your first collection / tax lien / late / whatever hurts the most, your second hurts less, the third less than the second, and so on ad naseum... as an example a second tax lien in my case moved one of my mortgage scores an absurdly small amount: 5 points).

That said the 60 day recent late is the score killer currently; we'd need a pretty full accounting to make any sort of reasonable estimation of when you might hit 700 on a mortgage score, and even then it would be a swag.  

My own experience with a 60 day late, a collection, and a tax lien from 2010, on a particular mortgage score (EQ Beacon 5.0) I've established 2 years of pristine positive history and I only got to roughly 680 (before I did something stupid which I can get airstruck but haven't yet), which might get me to 700 depending how it's factored.  

That said, one of the things that was hurting me was I was a no-file as far as positive tradelines were concerned, so I was starting out at less than zero whereas it sounds like you have positive history stretching back non-trivially: that is a big plus in your favor in terms of score recovery as some part of my own journey has been simply building up the payment history at all while aging derogatories.

I would absolutely keep on with the GW letters though Cap 1 is notoriously difficult to get any traction on from reports here.

        
Message 6 of 9
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I have one account (mortgage) with a 60-day late and a couple of 30-day lates (knocked me down into the high 500s).  Long and complicated story about why they happened, but it took approximately 2-1/2 to 3 years to get back above the 720 level.  While I did not apply for a mortgage I was able to secure a motorcycle and auto loan along with a couple of CCs (I think they helped push me over the 700 mark).

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 7 of 9
artanis50

Thanks for the more detailed responses  - that's exactly what I've been looking for -  Personal experiences with similiar situations.  

It's unfortunate it takes so long to rebuild a good history / score from two silly mistakes.  Even though I'd love to get in a house this year, I'd rather wait until I have a good score to get the best rates.  

Thanks for your feedback. 

Message 8 of 9
IvDogg
Established Member

I've had recent success with a Cap One GW...  PM me for contact info.

Starting Score (Feb 2014): EXP:583 EQ: 585 TU: 610
Current Score (5/1/2014): EXP:707 EQ:681 TU:671(All Fico)
Goal Score: 725 (all three)

My Wallet: Navy FCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa $24k, Discover IT $7k, Amazon Rewards Visa $5k, Hawaiian Airlines World MC $4000, Gold Delta SkyMiles $2k, Cap One Quicksilver $3800, Military Star Card $2625, Bestbuy Reward Zone $300, Horizon Gold $500
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.