Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get my actual real FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where can I get my actual real FICO score

Hi All,

I am new to this board and would appreciate any guidance/suggestions regarding how I can obtain monthly credit score and credit report monitoring of my real FICO score.  I was using American Express' Credit Secure unitl I realized I wasn't getting a fico score. I have done my research and it seems that only Experian and myfico.com offer FICO scores. Can anyone confirm this? I currently use Experian, but even then, there is a sizeable difference between my Experian FICO score 8 and my FICO scores on my credit cards (Discover, Cit)  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Where can I get my actual real FICO score

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

I am new to this board and would appreciate any guidance/suggestions regarding how I can obtain monthly credit score and credit report monitoring of my real FICO score.  I was using American Express' Credit Secure unitl I realized I wasn't getting a fico score. I have done my research and it seems that only Experian and myfico.com offer FICO scores. Can anyone confirm this? I currently use Experian, but even then, there is a sizeable difference between my Experian FICO score 8 and my FICO scores on my credit cards (Discover, Cit)  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

I recommend this site, your credit card, or bank.  I understand that Equifax sells FICO, but they also sell non-FICO so you have to be careful of what you order. If you have an American Express card, you can go to their website to view your free EX FICO 08.  If you have Discover, Walmart, or Barclaycard you can get your TU score.

But my understanding is the simplest is this site and Credit Check Total.  However, this is the only site that gives you the most useful versions of your FICO scores.  

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi All,

Welcome to MyFico forum

The scores you get from this site are real Fico scores.  If you use Experian you also get the Fico 8 classic but only 1 score. I believe when you get them here you will get a ton of different Fico versions.  The score you get from your  Discover card is also a true Fico but Transunion so there it will be a difference compared to Experian.  Citi I believe is offering Experian Fico but bank card enhanced and this goes up to 900 and not the 850 as for the classic.  Confusing? Yes... I am confused about the different Fico versions too because it hardly tells you which version it is. For me this  is just perfect as long as it is Fico and not Fako as it looks the formulas are not that much different . I still take the advantage of comparing the Vantage 3 scores with the Fico scores  because they can be accessed free of charge.  For this I like using CreditKarma...nice service for free Smiley Happy which shows also part of the reports but I would never pay to receive Fako/Vantage 3 scores.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

The EX Fico 8 score you're getting is based on EX data. The Fico score you're getting from Discover is based on TU data. The Fico score you're getting from Citi is based on EQ data, and I think it's a Bankcard Enhanced score. The scores are different because they are based on different bureaus. Oh, and you should be getting an Experian Fico 8 from Amex for free.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for the great responses.  I think I will just sign up to receive credit monitoring from myfico.com.  Thank you again

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In regards to MyFico #3b, if I sign up for the monthly service I will get Fico scores from the 3 credit agencys but will not get them again until the next quarter correct?  What if I make some large strides in my debt, how would I go about getting those 3 scores before the next quarter?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In regards to MyFico #3b, if I sign up for the monthly service I will get Fico scores from the 3 credit agencys but will not get them again until the next quarter correct?  What if I make some large strides in my debt, how would I go about getting those 3 scores before the next quarter?

The myFICO 3B monitoring product will give you dozens of different FICO scores from all three bureaus -- on the day you sign up for it.  It will then give you a new 3B report with those dozens of scores all updated, but not for another 90 days.

In between then it gives "alerts" for one specific score, the FICO 8 classic.  But unfortunately you cannot assume that every time your score changes you will get an alert.  In fact, it's possible that some very important changes could occur without getting an alert.

For a person who has a strong desire for a product that will allow him to pull his FICO 8 Classic from each bureau once per month (I think it gives you your Experian score and report more often than that) the best product out there is called Credit Check Total.  Do some searches for that online here.  Here are ways to get that for $15 a month if you are clever enough -- there are posts about that here.

For people who have a strong need to see many different kinds of scores (mortgage, auto, etc.) regularly, the myFICO product is the better choice.

Since you may be making large strides in your debt and possibly other changes to your credit profile, it is crucial to be able to pull your REPORTS on a fairly frequent basis.  (Reports are different from scores.)  Credit Karma is free and will give you the  ability to pull your EQ and TU reports as often as once a week.  Karma fits nicely with either CCT or MF, but you should ignore its scores, if your desire is to know what FICO is doing.  Karma uses Vantage Score, a different model from FICO.

Message 7 of 10
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The myFICO 3B monitoring product will give you dozens of different FICO scores from all three bureaus -- on the day you sign up for it.  It will then give you a new 3B report with those dozens of scores all updated, but not for another 90 days.

In between then it gives "alerts" for one specific score, the FICO 8 classic.  But unfortunately you cannot assume that every time your score changes you will get an alert.  In fact, it's possible that some very important changes could occur without getting an alert.

For a person who has a strong desire for a product that will allow him to pull his FICO 8 Classic from each bureau once per month (I think it gives you your Experian score and report more often than that) the best product out there is called Credit Check Total.  Do some searches for that online here.  Here are ways to get that for $15 a month if you are clever enough -- there are posts about that here.

For people who have a strong need to see many different kinds of scores (mortgage, auto, etc.) regularly, the myFICO product is the better choice.

Since you may be making large strides in your debt and possibly other changes to your credit profile, it is crucial to be able to pull your REPORTS on a fairly frequent basis.  (Reports are different from scores.)  Credit Karma is free and will give you the  ability to pull your EQ and TU reports as often as once a week.  Karma fits nicely with either CCT or MF, but you should ignore its scores, if your desire is to know what FICO is doing.  Karma uses Vantage Score, a different model from FICO.

You can also go into the alert settings and put in your current FICO score.  In addition you set it up to advise you of $ threshold changes on account. I received alerts with changes, but changed threshold because I didn't want constant up down data.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both are great advice.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 10
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both are great advice.  Thank you.

You're welcome.  It truly depends on why you want the scores.  If you just want a general idea of if you're moving in the right direction CCT.  If you're wanting to know your starting point in all aspects, myFICO.

I'm frugal.  I go for cards that provide the score for free  & come to myFICO  prior to making major purchases (house, car).  I also bring my kids here to have them work on their information and be knowledgeable while they're fixing it.

If you don't have an immediate reason, go the frugal route. if you have a short time-frame and a goal, nothing that consumers have access to, beats myFICO scores with access to the simulators. If you decide to purchase here and use the on-site simulators (for a short time), tag me and I'll walk you through it. 

If you decide on CCT, note your current scores for a reference point to refer back to on your credit journey.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.