Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to get free credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to get free credit score?

Do I really need to check my credit reports?

I noticed that there's no credit score on the first and only report so far that I requested.

I have a secured card.

I just graduated college, staying with my parents until I find place. My credit score should be high enough to rent a place by now. So I don't have a mortgage, business,..etc. I'm just saving up for a car at this time.

I'm going  by capital one's credit tracker, but I heard that it's not that accurate.

I requested to not be an AU on my mom's account anymore months ago and nothing has changed... but apparently that would hurt my score anyway according to the credit tracker.

Where do I get a free credit score and how long should I keep my secured credit card and AU status on my mom's card?

Advice is appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Where to get free credit score?

Absolutely check your credit reports. You can one free per year, per reporting agency, at https://www.annualcreditreport.com.  They're free and you want to make sure the data stays accurate. Not only is identity theft a worry, but just general human error mistakes.

Free scores can be checked at CreditKarma, CreditSesame, and several others (Google works). But they'll not be "real" FICO scores, generally speaking. But there are a gazillion different FICO scores.

Generally after a year, or two, you can request that your secured card be unsecured (receive your deposit back) and then keep that card forever.

Also, Kudos for being so proactive about your credit.

Message 2 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

I'm coming up on 3 years of my credit establishment journey and I still have one of my secured cards and don't really have a time table to close it.  Depends on your needs and your report.

That said, I would keep the AU anyway if it's reporting positively and with a low balance.

Also I would see about getting two more credit cards, you don't care what, you just want them for credit building though depending how long you've had the secured card, you may have good options.

Specifically for a car loan (and generally now too) I would go open up a share secured loan with Alliant and tack the installment loan on your report as that might negate the "first-time buyer" penalty which exists in the Auto Enhanced model (according to a few dealership F&I guys, and that score may be used when you go to finance the car) but it's a non-trivial boost when building out of a new file status anyway.

        
Message 3 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

As the other posters have said it is best to concentrate on what is in your credit report, not the score.  But it is nice to be able to use your score to keep track of your progress.  Cap1 provides a score called Trans Risk TU score.   It is one of the scores CreditKarma provides.  No on uses the score.  But you can watch it if you like.  I call it an educational score.

Speaking of CreditKarma, they do provide very nice weekly TU credit reports.  You can also get updated EX credit reports if you keep the report number EX gives you when you get your free annual CR.    Each time you look at it EX updates the web report.    Apart from the free annual credit report, the only site I know of that gives you a complete EQ report is Quizzle.  Note, the CK and Quizzle reports can only show what a lender would see when they pull your report.  They will not show SP's.  Don't take the adivce of CK or Quizzle to seriously, they are in the business to funnel applicants to lenders.

Here is a thread by kkapdolee that I like listing the different ways to get a "free" credit score.  Most of the ways require you to have a CC or other account with a CCC:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Where-to-obtain-FREE-monthly-FICO-scores/...

It is a little dated.  There may be a few additional CCC's that offer a FICO score.  For example, Penfed is now offering a free FICO NextGen Equifax score.   Plus MyFico has completely converted over to selling FICO 08 scores.

PS. We really should sticky a list of who provides what FICO score.  This question is asked a lot.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies!

I don't even really know how read the report. I read a month ago.

I don't owe anything: mortgage bank loan..etc.

Is Credit Karma free?

Would it hurt my score significantly if I closed my secured card? I would really like the security deposit back, it'd help a lot. I'm in between jobs after quitting my last one. I opened the card a year ago, used it really responsibly.

Also, do you guys really like the current card you own? Why?

Message 5 of 9
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

A good resource on how to read your CRA:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-to-Read-and-Understand-Your-Credit-Report/...

A few other threads with good info

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/19320

CreditKarma is free.  They make their money pushing credit products.  The advice is "interesting" but the weekly TU CR is nice.

The general advice is it is best to open a couple of unsecured CC's before closing your secured CC.  However, without income, it is hard to qualify for an unsecured CC.    Therefore, if you need your security deposit back, I would close it.   Be sure there is not a balance on the card before you close it.  When you call to close the card, check to see if they are willing to unsecure the card.  It may be a long shot, but it is worth a try.

You could also try to get a store credit card via the shopping card trick.   You could get the card now.  Then actually use it in a couple months when you have income.  I wouldn't recommend you spend money just to have the credit card.  But the earlier you have open CC's the better.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say income, does it matter what kind of job I have? Part-time, seasonal..etc?

Also, will my credit score take a hit when businesses check it: apartments, car dealships..etc?

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

When you say income, does it matter what kind of job I have? Part-time, seasonal..etc?

Also, will my credit score take a hit when businesses check it: apartments, car dealships..etc?

Income is income: if it's reported to the IRS, really doesn't matter much for anything except maybe a mortgage (read: proctological exam).

Anyone that does a credit check, explicitly a hard inquiry, will incur a small hit.  Everything you listed and more.

        
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.