Where to obtain FREE monthly FICO scores

tag
jello77
Contributor

Re: Where to obtain FREE monthly FICO scores

HiLine wrote:

Let's add:  Citi: bankcard FICO 08 on Equifax

Revelate wrote:

Need to rewrite the FICO editions sticky and the info from this thread can be included in it.  Just haven't had time to do it personally, if someone wants to take a swing at writing one that'd be swell.

As the original poster of the FICO editions sticky post located here, I was happy to see this thread and figured I should update the post.

After checking my own Citi card account online, it turns out the FICO being provided by Citi is actually the FICO 08 "industry Option" Bankcard score that has a range of 250 to 900.

So I added this line to the FICO editions sticky:

As of 2015, Citibank provides the FICO 8 Industry Option Bankcard score free each month to credit cards holders.

I also made some changes to the sticky post explaining the new names FICO is using for some of the score versions.

For example, FICO is using these new names:

Experian FICO Score 2  =  new name for EX-98 also known as FICO Risk Model v2

Equifax FICO Score 4  =  new name for EQ-98 also known as Beacon 96

Equifax FICO Score 5  =  new name for EQ-04 also known as Beacon 5.0

I also added info about the score versions that are newly available for purchase from MyFICO.

As I was updating the sticky post, I got a warning that the post exceeded the maximum allowed length.  

So I had to delete some older info that was not really essential.

Ideally, the sticky post would include more details about the new "industry option" scores now available from myFICO.

But the post is almost at the maximum length and not much additional info can be added.

Rather than adding new info about free FICO scores to the "editions" sticky post, it's probably better to have a separate thread dedicated to free scores.

What do guys think about this?

EQ-04 FICO__804__(from DCU)__inquiries = 0
EQ-08 FICO__826__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
EX-98 FICO__837__(from PSECU)__inquiries = 0
EX-08 FICO__813__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
TU-08 FICO__820__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
Oldest account 36 yrs / Newest account 2 years / Average age 12 yrs / Total accounts 10 / Accounts reporting balance = 2 / Util = 3%
Message 61 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think if you change the formatting some you can save a lot of space and be able to add more information.  Seems like to these eyes there is a lot of wasted space.  There are a lot of extra spacing and paragraph breaks that aren't needed.

Message 62 of 81
EW800
Valued Contributor

@jello77 wrote:

What do guys think about this?

I am pleased that you updated the indo.  Thank you!  

For clairification, are the AUTO-Enhanced Score 2, Score 5 and Score 8 models on a 250-900 range?

Thanks!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 63 of 81
jello77
Contributor

are the AUTO-Enhanced Score 2, Score 5 and Score 8 models on a 250-900 range?

Yes, the Auto-enhanced scores  (Auto Score 2, Auto Score 5, Auto Score 8)  have range 250 - 900.

After I bought these new scores with the "3-Report View," clicking on each score displayed a graphic that clearly showed the range of 250 to 900.

EQ-04 FICO__804__(from DCU)__inquiries = 0
EQ-08 FICO__826__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
EX-98 FICO__837__(from PSECU)__inquiries = 0
EX-08 FICO__813__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
TU-08 FICO__820__(from MyFICO)__inquiries = 0
Oldest account 36 yrs / Newest account 2 years / Average age 12 yrs / Total accounts 10 / Accounts reporting balance = 2 / Util = 3%
Message 64 of 81
EW800
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Jello! 

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 65 of 81
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Bank Of America (BoA) has started rolling out TU-08 scores.   The roll out should be complete by the end of spring 2016.

NC SECU is providing quarterly EQ-08 FICO scores.You must have an active loan with NC SECU.

Message 66 of 81
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

It seems like everybody is now offering free credit scores.  It may not be worth keeping a list... but here are some of the new offerings:

Experian

Discover is now offering a free monthly EX-08 score.

https://creditscorecard.com/

Not to be outdone, Experian now offers free monthly EX-08 score and limited report.  They also offer an iphone/android app.

https://www.freecreditscore.com

If you had an Experian account in the past, you may need to ask Experian to delete the account before signing up again.

From Amex I am now getting three monthly EX-08 scores.  The pull dates do not exactly correspond to when my statements cut.  However, I am guessing I get one score per open card.

I may have missed it in this thread, but Wells Fargo also offers an EX score now.  It is EX-98 bank card enhanced score.   NASA FCU members get monthly EX-98 mortgage score.

Equifax

There have not been many places to get free Equifax credit scores.  Huntington Voice was one of the few places to offer.  Citizens Bank aka Charter One bank now also offers an EQ FICO score for credit card holders:

https://www.citizensbank.com/cards-and-rewards/credit-cards/cashback-plus.aspx

https://www.huntington.com/landing/pas/creditcard/

Elements FCU (formerly ELFCU) also provide a free FICO score for members with loans or checking accounts.  I do not know the CRA or FICO model.  I am not old enough for the free checking account to find out.  ELFCU is a traditional EQ puller.   The site shows the classic FICO score range.

https://www.elements.org/FICOeducation

ETA: It turns out you get the FICO score if you have an HSA account with Elements.  The score is EQ-08.  They provide 12 months of score history.  The dates shown for the score do not match the dates I see on my EQ report.  The dates shown have been 6-13 days off over the past two months.

Lenny is a lending app. They give their users a free monthly EQ-08 score.

https://getlenny.com/fico-score-for-free/

Message 67 of 81
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

It seems like everybody is now offering free credit scores.  It may not be worth keeping a list... but here are some of the new offerings:

Experian

Discover is now offering a free monthly EX-08 score.

https://creditscorecard.com/

Not to be outdone, Experian now offers free monthly EX-08 score and limited report.  They also offer an iphone/android app.

https://www.freecreditscore.com

If you had an Experian account in the past, you may need to ask Experian to delete the account before signing up again.

From Amex I am now getting three monthly EX-08 scores.  The pull dates do not exactly correspond to when my statements cut.  However, I am guessing I get one score per open card.

I may have missed it in this thread, but Wells Fargo also offers an EX score now.  It is EX-98 bank card enhanced score.   NASA FCU members get monthly EX-98 mortgage score.

Equifax

There have not been many places to get free Equifax credit scores.  Huntington Voice was one of the few places to offer.  Citizens Bank aka Charter One bank now also offers an EQ FICO score for credit card holders:

https://www.citizensbank.com/cards-and-rewards/credit-cards/cashback-plus.aspx

https://www.huntington.com/landing/pas/creditcard/

Elements FCU (formerly ELFCU) also provide a free FICO score for members with loans or checking accounts.  I do not know the CRA or FICO model.  I am not old enough for the free checking account to find out.  ELFCU is a traditional EQ puller.   The site shows the classic FICO score range.

https://www.elements.org/FICOeducation

Lenny is a lending app. They give their users a free monthly EQ-08 score.

https://getlenny.com/fico-score-for-free/

Thanks for the updates!  Sadly I can't go modify the thread anymore but hopefully someone will get around to it shortly.

Likewise I can't check Elements but that's interesting regarding the NASA FCU one, I must've missed that and that's one score I *really* want access to so guess since my report is busy as hell at the moment getting membership there isn't a big deal.

I think that a list of "interesting" read as uncommon or non-FICO 8 scores would be worth maintaining still, though it's not that much more effort to dump the FICO 8 providers in there as well.  

Odd that you get 3 scores from Amex pretty sure I only get the one out of 3 cards.

        
Message 68 of 81
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I had been checking Amex FICO only when I expected a new score.  A couple of months ago, there was a thread about Amex not updating scores as normal.  I checked my score and found it updated early.  It updated once more before my normal score update.  The extra pulls only showed while they were current.  If I hadn't checked early, I would never have seen the extra pulls.   In May the dates didn't really match up well to my statement cut dates.  I figured Amex was just showing scores from semi-random pulls.  In June pull dates match my statements apart from one being one day after the statement closed.

Elements doesn't have anything special anymore.  I am member because they had a good deal for HSA investment accounts.  I didn't see any loan products that interested me.  If they would count my HSA investment balance, I could qualify for free basic checking.  As it is, I am out of luck.  If I really wanted a free EQ-08 score, I think I would go with First Charter's 1.5% CB card. 

I only recently joined NASA myself for the score.  I was going to app for the ~2% CB card, but with some of the recent threads decided against it.   All you need for the score is a savings account.  Only a SP EX pull.  Much easier than taking some Internet classes with Penn State to see if it would qualify me for PSECU. 

Message 69 of 81
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

I had been checking Amex FICO only when I expected a new score.  A couple of months ago, there was a thread about Amex not updating scores as normal.  I checked my score and found it updated early.  It updated once more before my normal score update.  The extra pulls only showed while they were current.  If I hadn't checked early, I would never have seen the extra pulls.   In May the dates didn't really match up well to my statement cut dates.  I figured Amex was just showing scores from semi-random pulls.  In June pull dates match my statements apart from one being one day after the statement closed.

Elements doesn't have anything special anymore.  I am member because they had a good deal for HSA investment accounts.  I didn't see any loan products that interested me.  If they would count my HSA investment balance, I could qualify for free basic checking.  As it is, I am out of luck.  If I really wanted a free EQ-08 score, I think I would go with First Charter's 1.5% CB card. 

I only recently joined NASA myself for the score.  I was going to app for the ~2% CB card, but with some of the recent threads decided against it.   All you need for the score is a savings account.  Only a SP EX pull.  Much easier than taking some Internet classes with Penn State to see if it would qualify me for PSECU. 

Yeah, I joined it as well for the score; I've historically used DCU as my benchmark as Beacon 5.0 is one of the few I actually care about, but after my mortgage experience last year I've realized that score isn't sufficient for the biggest financial transactions of my life and so getting an EX 98 (which was non-trivially higher by 20+ points for me than EQ 04) is a godlike for knowing where I stand.  Thanks for the heads up on that one!  I had missed the thread over in CC's.

Now just to find TU 04 classic somewhere to complete the trifecta heh; haven't seen that since LC stopped using it but maybe time to check again.

        
Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.