cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which FICO Score is the credit score used by 90% of top lenders?

tag
axxy
Regular Contributor

Which FICO Score is the credit score used by 90% of top lenders?

I've seen this statement a number of times and wonder which specific FICO score they mean:  "The FICO Score is the credit score used by 90% of top lenders."

Is it the same FICO score we get from Score Watch?  If that's used by 90%, then it's more useful than I thought it was.  Do they only mean 90% of top mortgage lenders, or do they mean 90% of all top lenders, period?  Which lenders are considered top lenders?  If I get a credit card from Bank of America, is that one of the 90%?  What percentage of banks are considered to be top lenders?   What percentage of non-top lenders use the same score?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Which FICO Score is the credit score used by 90% of top lenders?

There are FAKO's and FICO's. If it doesn't say FICO, it is a FAKO.   No lenders use the FAKO, although they do use internal credit scoring.  There are multiple vrsions of FICO (98, 04, 08 and soon 09), and your FICO with each credit reporting agency is different based on the data in that credit file.  

In addition to the various versions of FICO mentioned, there is also auto enhanced FICO scores, which auto lenders use, that place more weight on installment loan/auto loan history.  

Mortgage lenders use FICO 04 or 98.  

Most credit card issuers use FICO 08.  There is also a credit card enhanced version which places more weight on credit card payment history than installment history.

So there are many, many versions of FICO, so you need to figure out the purpose of the loan you are seeking and focus on that FICO score.  Mortgage lenders use the middle of the three FICO 04 (or 98) scores.  The only FICO 04 score available to consumers is from Equifax (do not confuse this with their own FAKO they sell - make sure it says "FICO.")

As frustrating as all these different versions of FICO (98, 04, 08 and soon 09), the different versions used by different types of lenders (mortgage lenders, auto lenders, credit card lenders) and the fact that FICO scores will be different for each of the three  credit reporting agencies based on the data in that bureau's files, FICO scores are valuable becuase they are "real" - meaning they are used by lenders.  And if you can name a ledner or have ever heard of that lender, it's a major lender (think TV ads).  Even small credit unions pull FICO's.

The FAKO's are great for seeing trends in your scores, but sometimes you will see as much as a 100 point difference, either way, between certain FICO and FAKO scores.

You can either subscribe to the monthly FICO monitoring service, or else just use Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, etc., for free, and pull a real FICO score when you are getting ready to apply for credit if you know in advance that you need say a minimum 680 for a certain credit card and that lender typically pulls TU -- as an example.

Message 2 of 11
axxy
Regular Contributor

Shouldn't FICO change their wording, to not be accused of false advertising?  Instead of saying "The FICO Score is the credit score used by 90% of top lenders" shouldn't they change it to "FICO-branded scores are the credit scores used by 90% of top lenders" or "90% of top lenders use at least one kind of FICO score?"

What about when they sell Score Watch?  Do they have a disclaimer in their Score Watch advertising, that the FICO you get from Score Watch is not necessarily the same one your creditors use?  Or could that leave them open to charges of false advertising too?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think they really need to.....

That's like suing ESPN because they claim they broadcast 90% of the worlds sporting events but you only subscribe to ESPN and ESPN2, So obviously you're not going to have access to 90% of them.

It doesn't specifically say a specific score is used by 90% but the wording id FICO score. Which is a valid statement.   

And let's face it... The 08 you get here is more than likely used in 90% of lending decisions... Because credit cards are the bulk of lending decisions. People have 20+ credit cards.... They don't have 20 cars or houses....... Well people that care about credit don't anyway.

Message 4 of 11
axxy
Regular Contributor

It doesn't specifically say a specific score is used by 90% but the wording id FICO score. Which is a valid statement.

The wording is not just "FICO Score."  It's "The FICO Score."  There is a big difference between "a FICO score" and "the FICO score."  I'm just saying myfico.com needs to add a clear disclaimer, such as a disclosure that "the FICO score" does not mean "the FICO score used by mortgage lenders."  Otherwise it gives the appearance that they want to mislead customers for the purpose of increasing the number of Score Watch subscribers.  That's the kind of attitude I would expect from a small fly-by-night company, not a big respected company such as this.  How hard could it be to add such a disclaimer, and make sure people who sign up for Score Watch are aware of it?

Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@axxy wrote:

The wording is not just "FICO Score."  It's "The FICO Score."  There is a big difference between "a FICO score" and "the FICO score."  I'm just saying myfico.com needs to add a clear disclaimer, such as a disclosure that "the FICO score" does not mean "the FICO score used by mortgage lenders."  Otherwise it gives the appearance that they want to mislead customers for the purpose of increasing the number of Score Watch subscribers.  That's the kind of attitude I would expect from a small fly-by-night company, not a big respected company such as this.  How hard could it be to add such a disclaimer, and make sure people who sign up for Score Watch are aware of it?

Well, the "big lenders" do credit cards, auto loans, mortgages, business loans, etc etc etc. saying "FICO is used by 90% of the top lenders" is like saying "90% of people wear shoes". which brand of shoes? well it depends on the day and time of day, whether they are going running or to the opera, etc etc etc. I'm not wearing shoes right now because I'm at home, but I will wear shoes to walk the dog. I understand your peeve, however, it's just advertising. It has to be simple or the average consumer won't even read it.

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to see advertising intended to mislead customers" (modified quote from Casablanca).

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 11
axxy
Regular Contributor

Changing "The FICO Score" to "FICO" would make it simpler and easier to read, not more complicated as you imply.  And adding a disclaimer won't cause a problem either, because those consumers who are not inclined to read much will simply skip the disclaimers.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is clear to me that if there was a Disclaimer that the poeple who are looking for mortage would not subsribe to myfico and that would hurt the bottom line Here. So why would they do that it would be taking money out of ther pockets. It would have saved me 60.00.    

Message 8 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

I think perhaps you are both missing the point. The MyFICO offerings here are geared to getting you access (for a fee) to all three credit bureaus, to improve your understanding of what is on your credit reports, and what your FICO scores are, relative to credit cards. That may not be clearly stated, but it becomes apparent with research (and responses to your questions here). The monitoring notifies you of changes to your credit files which influence those FICO scores, relative to the current scoring model that MyFICO is using for this service. That model has changed, the model will change. The specific instance of FICO used here may not be exactly the model you find for another application, but the vast majority of lenders do use some form of Fair Issac FICO for scoring credit apps.

There are also educational resources where you can browse and find out about all the "flavors of FICO".

Other banks and types of lenders (mortgage, auto, etc) use different scoring models. So your presented score is going to be different in those contexts. In each of those contexts, the method of calculating the credit score is different, but it is applied the same to all applicants for that credit product, so your relative score should be similar and the lender takes that into account. They don't compare "Hey, you are a 760 on FICO Credit Card, but 690 on our mortgage app, what gives?" because they are scaling the 690 to others on that measure.

At the end of the day, all you can do, for any credit scoring, is pay your bills on time, keep utilization under control, have a range of types of credit products you've borrowed and paid back, and keep a close eye on whether your scores are improving or not. Putting too much emphasis on any one score is not going to change your underlying credit file, only your actions do that. The research and discussion you learn here are helping you to better understand that.

And, the $20 x 3 months that you spent for the initial subscription, that did lead you to learn something about credit scores, so even if you don't like the specific result of the fee, you don't like what you learned, the learning makes you smarter for the next credit decision you have to make. You cannot unlearn this. You did get something out of that $60, so complaining about the advertising isn't fair. Your choice now is, cancel the subscription if it doesn't seem to provide useful information.

The other factor is, the $20 per month is an explicit revenue source for the MyFICO web site. Notice the only advertising is the consistent scroll bar of credit card offerings? Thus there is no conflict of interest such as CK, and other websites that live only on advertising, are "free" otherwise, where they try to route you into products you might not need. By paying a fee here, you get truth and not marketing.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

there still needs to be a disclaimer given and i would rather had the option to cancel 30 days in as would alot of people here and FYI when i google  fico sores for a mortage it

led me to this site and at no point did i read that the scores given here are for CC and mortage lenders do not use this flavor of fico. Yes i did learn some things from this site but it was from the people on this froum  not for paying for three months for something i didn't need.

Pease 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.