Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which TU Score is right (more right)?

tag
DBSH
New Contributor

Which TU Score is right (more right)?

I have been slowly rebuilding my credit and it has a slow and painful road. I am sure everyone that has been down this road can agree that every point counts.

The reason I am asking is I have gotten multiple sources that provide scores for TU.

freecreditreport.com monitoring service which provides me with a 3-report summary every 90 days has my TU FICO/FACO score is at a painfully low 580 (at least 50 points lower that EX & EQ)

the free FICO/FACO TU score provided by Merrick Bank on a monthly basis (I believe it is a similar service as the Wal-Mart card provides) has me somewhere between 655-670 which seems to be more inline with my EX & EQ scores.

Which one is right?

BofA Cash Rewards: $15,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $9,000; Discover IT $15,000; Amex BCE: $15,000. Barclaycard Ring $12,000; Amazon $5000:
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Which TU Score is right (more right)?

@DBSH wrote:

I have been slowly rebuilding my credit and it has a slow and painful road. I am sure everyone that has been down this road can agree that every point counts.

The reason I am asking is I have gotten multiple sources that provide scores for TU.

freecreditreport.com monitoring service which provides me with a 3-report summary every 90 days has my TU FICO/FACO score is at a painfully low 580 (at least 50 points lower that EX & EQ)

the free FICO/FACO TU score provided by Merrick Bank on a monthly basis (I believe it is a similar service as the Wal-Mart card provides) has me somewhere between 655-670 which seems to be more inline with my EX & EQ scores.

Which one is right?

They are all "right" in that, if they say FICO, then they ARE FICO.

That said, there are a variety of scoring models.  TU98 is what is provided here at this site, an older model that's rarely used by lenders, but is the one this site chooses (or is allowed) to provide to consumers. 

Discover, WalMart, etc, use the TU08 model which is the most recent. 

In between  is a TU04 model which is what most lenders use.  This model is not as readily available to consumers IIRC. 

There's a wide range within these models.  For example, my TU here is about 40pts lower than what I recently got from Discover in their initial foray into releasing TU credit scores.  Algorithms are apparently different between the 2 models. 

Message 2 of 3
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which TU Score is right (more right)?

@ thom02099  -  I appreciate your clarification of the different scoring methods TU uses, especially when comparing those obtained from Discover and this site (myFICO).  I've checked my TU credit score several times recently on myFICO (September and a few days ago), and received a FICO score of 750 both times. And yet my recent Discover FICO score was only 718, a difference of 32 points!  I couldn't believe that there could be such a disparity between these two scoring methods (TU98 vs TU08).  (Almost like comparing with FAKO scores?)  And yet you experienced a 40 point swing in a similar comparison, so I guess it really does happen.  Ouch . . . !

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.