Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is best site to track score?

tag
Roxlie
Contributor

Which is best site to track score?

Hi folks, I read somewhere on here that most people use Score Watch to monitor the FICO score. If I understand correctly, it only reports EQ? Is there a better way to go or is Score Watch the best to go with?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Which is best site to track score?

You have three FICO scores (well, more really, but you don't want to go there now!): Equifax (EQ), TransUnion (TU), and Experian (EX.) As you discovered, ScoreWatch only follows EQ, and it sometimes gets a bit squirrelly. But for tracking FICO's, TU only has a quarterly service, so you really can't call that monitoring FICO's the way we compulsively do around here, and there isn't one for EX at all.

So, many of us cobble together Score Watch and TrueCredit, or a similar report monitoring service, to look at all three reports ONLY, and use the knowledge we get here to know when it's a good time to buy our TU and EX scores here, which we do a lot. And we first Google fico discount coupon code to find 15% or more off. (We don't publish the codes here, as a courtesy to our host, because they come from non-FICO sources.)

Reasonable people would think that checking one's score every three months is plenty, so for the TU score, the quarterly monitoring service makes sense. For EX, you just have to buy them on the myFICO site. Experian sells its own in-house, home-grown score called a PLUS score, which is used by very few lenders indeed, so they don't have a partnership with FICO to produce a FICO EX monitoring product. Silly them, because they could make a fortune off of it if they did.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 4
Roxlie
Contributor

haulingthescoreup, Thanks for the reply! That was very informative. I went ahead and subscribed to Truecredit for the reports and I'll check on the scores every so often.
Message 3 of 4
frugal
New Contributor

I had Truecredit but I felt it wasn't has informative as myFico. I was paying about &16.95/month with Truecredit.   I purchased the yearly score monitoring system on myfico a year ago.  Honestly, it was slow at the beginning (meaning-not reporting every month on my EX score), but I've gotten a report every month from them for the last 8 months.  IMHO, Truecredit doesn't have support or a forum like myfico.  There are some top notch people that will help you out. There isn't one person on here that you can find that isn't or hasn't experienced something you haven't gone through...which makes myFico my first choice.

Because my credit was so awful... I cut out some things to pay for the $46.90/ month (my cost of pulling EX, TU, EQ) to monitor my Credit score , which I know I was blowing it on something frivalous.  Some may think this was over the top [you know, monitoring every month], but hey- my score went up close to 200 points in one year.  I will continue to do so until I'm satisfied, then I will put it quarterly.

Word of advice, you are in control of this and I'm proud of you taking the first step. You can go at it aggressively or take or time. You can make goals or not, but utimately...the choice is yours and always have been.

Good luck

Message Edited by frugal on 05-13-2008 03:00 PM
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.