Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is hurting me more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is hurting me more?

A recent medical bill (from 2004) paid in full in December A 7 year old CO from Cap1, Balance of 1283 added to my outstanding debt/balance (out of total of $2k)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which is hurting me more?

Before I give you my answer, I have a few questions:

Are you saying this CO is only being reported by Cap1 and there is no CA involvement and no collection reporting?

Are you saying this Cap1 card is reporting a CL of 2K and a balance of $3,283?
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a CO only, due to fall of in September.

It was never sold and never went to CA.

[TransUnion] Charged off as bad debt
Profit and loss write-off
[Experian] Unpaid balance reported as a loss by credit grantor.

[Equifax] Charged off account
Credit card
- - TransUnion Experian Equifax
- Past Due: $1283 $1283 $1283
- High Balance: $336 $1283 $336
- Terms:
- Limit:
- Payment: $0
- Opened: 12/09/1998 12/1998 12/1998
- Reported: 11/01/2007 01/10/2005 12/2007
- Responsibility: Individual Shared Shared

So it does NOT list CL, only high balanvce (336) and Past Due (interest). Hoping this isn't a 400% utilization Smiley Happy

I'm pretty sure this went default well before 9/01 but in any event it is an oldie BUT is most of the outstanding debt I show. For instance when I do the Fico Calculator it allows me to estimate paying this off in full and I get a 50-70 point jump. On the other hand, they may not realize it is default.

Interesting to me that they don't allow you to pick tradelines to 'fall off' to estimate effect.
Message 3 of 5
fused
Moderator Emeritus

COs can and usually do factor in util, while COs and collections reported by CAs do not. My guess is this charge-off balance is slamming you, not necessarily the CO in and of itself. If you pay this to $0, when it reports you should see a nice bump in scores. So yes, IMO, the CO is hurting you more than the med collection because of the balance.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Do you have any idea if Cap1 does PFD, especially for a written off debt out of SOL?  I am trying one more round of inquirie to get this off, I managed to get 3 others off last round, this one was apparantly a biz card which is not subject to FCRA (?). Hoping I can shake it loose, but looks like unlike collections that paying this old debt will help.

The FICO Simulator might be right in it's estimated 50-70 point bump even thouogh it thinks it is 'just' cc debt.  On TU this is the only balance i hold so it will lower util and balance to 0%.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.