cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which lenders actually use the FICO scoring model?

tag
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Which lenders actually use the FICO scoring model?

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
...The problem is, there are many different FICO scoring formulas. Different lenders pull different versions. I think that the Alliant version is the otherwise-didn't-really-go-anywhere Equifax FICO NextGen score. As it says, it focuses much more on the most recent 24 months of credit behavior. For whatever reason, Alliant must think that it's a better predictor of credit risk for its customers.
But when it comes to Equifax FICO scores, the Beacon 5.0 model used here is much, much more common.
...The scores available here are the ones used by mortgage lenders, because they are generally the scores used by other lenders as well who use FICO scores. Even then, there are three different FICO scoring formulas --one for Equifax, one for TransUnion, and one for Experian. The different scores don't just result from the different reports. That's why you'll read that Equifax "hates lates", and TransUnion "likes 0 accounts with balances" (which is true for a certain score range, but not others.)

I have read that big lenders will sometimes do a "bake off" comparison of scoring models: randomly assign N customers/applicants to each model being considered (current model versus one or more alternatives) and compare the results.  Usually they want to see a substantial benefit before they will switch, because changing a key business process has associated costs and risks.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 11 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sure, not only is it expensive to switch, but if the new formula doesn't predict risk of default as well as the previous one, it becomes more expensive that way as well, due to higher losses.

Banks are validating different credit scoring formulas all the time. I'm sure they're doing so with Vantage score as well, plus their home-grown attempts.

OP, it's like any other purchase these days. In many cases, there are just too many options to completely research. We're all suffering from data overload in which the data too rarely turns into information.

There was a list like what you described --whogavemecredit-dot-com. It's an unbelievable mess, though, because it took a lot of time to try to maintain, people kept listing incorrect info, and eventually the site owner had to take ads, and it quickly turned into a septic tank. There are other lists out there, but they're not very reliable, often because those who contribute info didn't know or didn't care about which report was really pulled and so forth.

Hope you're feeling OK this morning! Smiley Wink
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 13
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

(GROAN) . . . . . FICO Gods never answered . . . . go figger.

But, thanks to all for the responses.  I'm convinced there is no one-size-fits-all solution.  I will just endeavor to require full discllosure of the scoring model being used before applying for new credit (which I am planning to avoid, at least until my AAoA is 3+ years).

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.