Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one is the "real" EX score?

tag
diabla
Regular Contributor

Which one is the "real" EX score?

I'm so confused about all of these scores!  A couple weeks ago, I was logged into the EX site viewing my report, and there was a tab that said Score or something to that effect.  I believe it was a Vantage Score.  So I purchased it for about $8.  Now this was within EX, not a third party site.  That actually malfunctioned but then I called EX the next day and the CSR read my score to me over the phone and it was 664.  

Now today I go to EX and there's a completely different report layout and score available for $1 for a 7 day trial.  I paid for it, planning to cancel after I get the score anyway.  It says 

Your Experian© Score is:(as of 11/8/2012)

Again, this is from within EX, but it doesn't say anything about Vantage anywhere.  There's no way I dropped over 64 points in two weeks, and I've studied my report to see if there's anything different. Other than a new CC account, there's nothing else.

So which is the real score?  If that Vantage score was not real, why was EX selling it?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
diabla
Regular Contributor

Re: Which one is the "real" EX score?

Apparently this site I was at today is ExperianDirect.com.  I have NO idea how I got there!  It's got Experian's logo all over the site.  I think I got there through Quizzle because I went there to look at my report and I probably clicked to update from there.

It says its part of the Experian family but when you got to Contact Us, it says its ConsumerInfo.com, and says that that's also a part of the Experian family.  I see tons of complaints about it overcharging and multiple charging people for that monthly plan.  I'm not comfortable with it because it looks totally different than the one I usually go to.  I'm cancelling my membership right now just in case.

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably a Vantage and PLUS score comparison. And to confuse things, Quizzle offers a different FAKo.

Message 3 of 6
brother7
Established Contributor

On the myFICO forums, when people refer to "real" credit scores, they usually mean FICO scores because they're the ones used by lenders when making credit decisions.

Experian doesn't make their FICO scores available to the consumer. The only ways that I know of to find your EX FICO score is from a mortgage lender when you apply for a loan and they pull your EX report or through a certain credit union which has a special arrangement with Experian.

In short, neither of the scores you received is a "real", ie FICO, score.

Consumers are able to get their FICO scores from the other 2 credit reporting agencies, TransUnion and Equifax. The most reliable way to get either TU or EQ FICO scores is with myFICO's products, Quarterly Monitoring for TU and Scorewatch for EQ.

Hope that helps.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 4 of 6
diabla
Regular Contributor

Ugh, well I don't like that 600 mess.   I'm totally going to ignore it!  That's why it was only $1!  Had me feeling some kind of way all day until I decided to ask on here.  I've cancelled now.  Going to call tomorrow to make sure they got my cancellation.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Only way to get your EX FICO is through a lender pull or if you happen to belong to a certain CU in Pennsylvania.  All those other scores are just for educational purposes only.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.