cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which scenario is faster to bump up credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which scenario is faster to bump up credit score?

I’m looking to boost my credit score as much as I can and as fast as I can, regarding utilization.

I’m trying to decide if I should take out a personal loan, fixed rate installment loan, and pay all my cards down to a 1% utilization or pay off. Or would it be better to pay them down over the next 6 months.  I’m not concerned with the interest rates and I’m not basing my plan on which option is better financially, just which option is better for increasing my credit score. Chances are the personal loan would have about the same interest rate as most of my cards.

Any thoughts on what would boost my credit score faster? I only have revolving credit card accounts, I don’t have any installment loans of any kind reporting.

Fico scores on 4/14/15, when everything was new with a zero balance Ex 733 / Tu 759 / Ep 730

Fico scores today 8/18/15, with all balances reporting. Ex 684 / Tu 691 / Ep 680

Current balances on all accounts:

BofA Cash Rewards - AU - CL $25,000 – Balance $250.

Citi Prestige - CL $6,500 – Balance $3,200.

Citi Hilton Signature - CL $5,000 – Balance $2,475.

Citi Brooks Brothers  – CL - $3000 – Balance $1,275.

Nordstrom store - CL $5,000 – Balance $2,440.

Barclay – CL $5,000 – Balance $2,650.

Bloomingdales store – CL $1500 – Balance $588.

Bloomingdales Major – CL $5800 – Balance $2,200.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Which scenario is faster to bump up credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

I’m looking to boost my credit score as much as I can and as fast as I can, regarding utilization.

I’m trying to decide if I should take out a personal loan, fixed rate installment loan, and pay all my cards down to a 1% utilization or pay off. Or would it be better to pay them down over the next 6 months.  I’m not concerned with the interest rates and I’m not basing my plan on which option is better financially, just which option is better for increasing my credit score. Chances are the personal loan would have about the same interest rate as most of my cards.

Any thoughts on what would boost my credit score faster? I only have revolving credit card accounts, I don’t have any installment loans of any kind reporting.

Fico scores on 4/14/15, when everything was new with a zero balance Ex 733 / Tu 759 / Ep 730

Fico scores today 8/18/15, with all balances reporting. Ex 684 / Tu 691 / Ep 680

Current balances on all accounts:

BofA Cash Rewards - AU - CL $25,000 – Balance $250.

Citi Prestige - CL $6,500 – Balance $3,200.

Citi Hilton Signature - CL $5,000 – Balance $2,475.

Citi Brooks Brothers  – CL - $3000 – Balance $1,275.

Nordstrom store - CL $5,000 – Balance $2,440.

Barclay – CL $5,000 – Balance $2,650.

Bloomingdales store – CL $1500 – Balance $588.

Bloomingdales Major – CL $5800 – Balance $2,200.

Take out a debt consolidation loan, pay off ALL of your cards - depeding on when you last used your cards you are paying interest on all that money. If you leave any balance you will continue to pay interest on it. After you pay it off 100% then use one of them and keep it under 10%, then be sure to pay it off in full prior to due date. Do not pay interest if you do not need to.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tufa, The OP had a specific objective.  He said he is not concerned about how much he pays on interest and he is ONLY concerned about getting his score back up.

Deadcredit, You need to get your head straight with revolving credit.  It seems like you acquired all but one of your credit cards recently but ran them all up.  New credit is not a shopping spree pass.  Below are my recommendations.  Bonus, if you do not currently have an installment loan (personal or auto), this should help your score even more.

1) Sock drawer ALL your credit cards

2) Get an installment (not revolving) personal loan for 20% more than your existing credit card debt

3) Pay down all your credit cards to ZERO except your lowest APR credit card and keep a 9% balance on it

4) Use the left over money and pay it back to your personal loan

5) Make minimum payments on the personal loan and a little more than miminum payment on the 9% balance credit card

6) During this process, use all your cards once or twice a year but no more to keep them active but pay in full when your statement arrives

7) Only after you pay down the 9% balance credit card is when you should bring out one or two of your best credit cards permanently from the sock drawer and remember to treat it like an extention of your debit card and always PIF.

Message 3 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Short-term, faster would be getting an installment loan.  Additionally if you don't have any installment history on your report, likely would help there too.

Long-term, irrelevant, either one works the same as revolving utilization is instant-in-time calculations.

        
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I get a small bump in score after making my payments this month, then I'll pull the trigger on a personal loan.

Prosper offered me the best rate, closely followed by Lending Club, and Sofi wouldn't touch me lol

Message 5 of 9
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Tufa, The OP had a specific objective.  He said he is not concerned about how much he pays on interest and he is ONLY concerned about getting his score back up.

Deadcredit, You need to get your head straight with revolving credit.  It seems like you acquired all but one of your credit cards recently but ran them all up.  New credit is not a shopping spree pass.  Below are my recommendations.  Bonus, if you do not currently have an installment loan (personal or auto), this should help your score even more.

2) Get an installment (not revolving) personal loan for 20% more than your existing credit card debt

3) Pay down all your credit cards to ZERO except your lowest APR credit card and keep a 9% balance on it

5) Make minimum payments on the personal loan and a little more than miminum payment on the 9% balance credit card

6) During this process, use all your cards once or twice a year but no more to keep them active but pay in full when your statement arrives

7) Only after you pay down the 9% balance credit card is when you should bring out one or two of your best credit cards permanently from the sock drawer and remember to treat it like an extention of your debit card and always PIF.

I thought it would go without saying that by bringing the UTIL down to next to nothing that it would boost scores in weeks. I shouldn't have assumed you, or the OP, would have known that. To clarify for slipper and the OP, the fact that there is a balance on all those accounts is KILLING his score. My picture looked somewhat the same and after I took out a loan to erase allthe CC debt I gain close to 100 points.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought it would go without saying that by bringing the UTIL down to next to nothing that it would boost scores in weeks. I shouldn't have assumed you, or the OP, would have known that. To clarify for slipper and the OP, the fact that there is a balance on all those accounts is KILLING his score. My picture looked somewhat the same and after I took out a loan to erase allthe CC debt I gain close to 100 points.

You recommended to take all CC balances to zero (not near zero) and leave it that way until the consolidation loan was paid off.  Most experienced forum members (not all apparently) know carrying a zero revolving balance for an extended period of time is good but not optimal and could even result in account closure.

Message 7 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You recommended to take all CC balances to zero (not near zero) and leave it that way until the consolidation loan was paid off.  Most experienced forum members (not all apparently) know carrying a zero revolving balance for an extended period of time is good but not optimal and could even result in account closure.

I think tufa wasn't necessarily suggesting paying everything to $0, it was simply airstriking the debt.  He like every other regular would absolutely suggest that leaving one revolving tradeline with a balance is effectively optimal.

Anecdotally, a revolving revolving tradeline reporting $0 balance on a card for years is fine: it's about tradeline activity and even paying before the due date consistently won't harm that.  I'm fully in the camp of just letting balances report wherever they may unless I'm applying for something, but the typical time period for account closure due to inactivity is on the order of a year for a lot of lenders and as such the once every 3 or 6 months trotting out of the card is generally fine... even if I just drop a small recurring charge on all of them other than the pretty my file up scenario.

        
Message 8 of 9
tufa4311
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think tufa wasn't necessarily suggesting paying everything to $0, it was simply airstriking the debt.  He like every other regular would absolutely suggest that leaving one revolving tradeline with a balance is effectively optimal.

Anecdotally, a revolving revolving tradeline reporting $0 balance on a card for years is fine: it's about tradeline activity and even paying before the due date consistently won't harm that.  I'm fully in the camp of just letting balances report wherever they may unless I'm applying for something, but the typical time period for account closure due to inactivity is on the order of a year for a lot of lenders and as such the once every 3 or 6 months trotting out of the card is generally fine... even if I just drop a small recurring charge on all of them other than the pretty my file up scenario.

Thank you for that insight Revelate, obv I was not advocating paying everything to zero and those that know me know how I gained my experience, on this board, and thus am well versed in the basics - slipper obv has not seen my posts and that's ok, I don't take offence. What I find interesting are those that feel they need to belittle others to gain strength themselves. The comment "not all apparently" that slipper made is, in general, rude - it offers no assitance and provides no substance. Strength comes from within.

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.