Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which should I pay down first? I have a couple cards maxed and

tag
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which should I pay down first? I have a couple cards maxed and

For maximum score impact you want to 'unmax' your cards.  You get into score penalty area when your balance is over 90% of the credit line.

So....

Make sure everything is under 85% of the credit line.  Yes, 90% is the magical number, but remember, they add stuff before reporting usually, such as interest, so its good to have a bit of extra room there.

After that, you have several choices depending on your real goals.  Paying off the Walmart card would feel good, so that is a good idea.

If you don't have much money in  a savings account, I highly recommend putting the balance away in a rainy day fund, but make sure it stays there.

Work to get your each card to under 30%, then under 10%.

Remember though, maximum credit score doesn't help if the goal is to use the score to run up more debt.  Its a tool.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 11 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Which should I pay down first? I have a couple cards maxed and

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll have to let me know sometime how your share secured loan (with Yoda Revelate) has worked out.

27 days after opening the loan it hasn't even reported yet

it's scientific value for Revelate will probably be nil anyway, because (a) i couldn't bring myself to follow his instructions diligently, and (b) life is getting in the way and possibly changing my credit card utilization percentage involuntarily... but we'll see

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.