Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Credit Limits Aren't Reported

tag
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Why Credit Limits Aren't Reported

Just curious why some CCs don't report the credit limit when reporting to the bureaus. What is the gain? Is it a power issue? Does it make much difference in the overall score? It seems a little unfair. Neimann Marcus does not report my credit limit just my balance if I have one. I remember Cap One was like that but they report now.

Thanks,

RozBuds

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Credit Limits Aren't Reported

Some cards don't have credit limits as such. However, ALL cards AFAIK report a high balance. If no credit limit is reported, the high balance will be used as a pseudo limit in util calcs. Thus, for cards of this type, it can be advantageous to "flex" the high balance by running it up higher than normal one month to improve future util.

Message 2 of 6
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

Actually my Neiman has a CL. I never checked as to what it was until I got a letter stating it was being lowered. I called and asked what the CL was now and she said $550. I asked what it had been and she said $2400. I said that will hurt my FICO and she said no it won't. We don't report credit limits. And I don't think it really has I just wonder why they don't report. Thank you for your reply. I will try to use it more. Maybe get it to $200 or $300.

Message 3 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Is Nieman Marcas reporting what is called the high balance? That is the highest balance that the account has ever reached. If your high balance is less than your credit limit you can dipute it with bureau with the proof.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 6
smallfry
Senior Contributor

It is not a good idea to ever dispute a positive tradeline. Ever.

Message 5 of 6
RozBuds
Regular Contributor

The $78 reports as highest past balance. I'm just really curious of the advantage or disadvantage of the practice of not reporting credit limits and why.

Thank you, RozBuds

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.