Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Did My FICO Score Drop?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Did My FICO Score Drop?!

Why did my FICO score drop by 13 points when I paid off a credit card balance and slightly lowered my mortgage balance?  Shouldn't this result in an increase in my FICO score since I'm reducing my credit utilization ratio?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Did My FICO Score Drop?!

There could have been other factors that played into it, like new cards open, recent inquiries amongst other things, like if that credit card was your only one and now no card is reporting a balance.

Message 2 of 4
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Noushie, welcome to myFICO forums!

Believe or not if you have all of you credit cards report a zero balance you take a hit in points.

Wisdom on this board is to have one card reporting between 1% utilization and 9% utilization. Use as many cards as you like just pay them off before the statement is generated. Only one card should report a balance for trying to maximize scores.

Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why did my FICO score drop by 13 points when I paid off a credit card balance and slightly lowered my mortgage balance?  Shouldn't this result in an increase in my FICO score since I'm reducing my credit utilization ratio?

To answer your question would need to know:

1. how many credit cards you have, and limits and statement balances

2. what other loans you have, and limits and statement balances

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.