cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Did my Score Drop 22-37 Points After Paying Off Car Loan?

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Did my Score Drop 22-37 Points After Paying Off Car Loan?

@HiLine wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

supervelous, of course ultimately it's about what's profitable or not profitable for the banks. Getting to profitability it's also definitely about how risky or how reliable you are. The attempts to measure risk and reliability are just means to the end, though.

I sure wish I could answer your question, but I can't and I've never heard anybody give a good answer.

Probably because you dismissed good answers.

Oh yeah. Being insulting is really helpful.

And of course just absolutely everybody on the boards is expected to remember an answer you posted five or six months ago. How remiss of me to have forgotten it.

But guess what? I just re-read your thread from back then and I still don't think it's an adequate answer.

Message 11 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@supervelous wrote:

Gunnar, is it profit?  I always assumed it was to judge how big of a risk you are to the bank, so they could accept/decline you as a customer and price you according to risk.  How am I more or less profitable than last month now that I've paid off my student loans?  

If your argument is I have more disposable income to pay a higher price of credit, this contradicts many other aspects of how financial institutions price loans.  Usually the most financially strong customers get the best rates, due to their low risk to the bank as well as competitive factors.  The customers with the best scores tend to have more disposable income and less debt.

I have now decreased my debt, increased my disposable income, and now I am likely to get higher pricing from these banks.  Like I said these attributes are common to the higher FICO individuals and the reverse is often true at the other end of the spectrum, low DI and more debt.   Yes I guess they'd profit more from me at a higher rate, but by that logic the most financially sound individuals would pay higher prices because they can afford to and the worst-off would pay lower because well they can't afford higher pricing.  But we know the adverse is true in credit scoring.  

It just seems to be a flaw in scoring, where they are ignoring either 1.  Closed accounts in mix of credit and/or 2. AAoA on closed/paid accounts.  Both of which are flawed in calculating RISK to the lender, which I still think is the purpose of FICO scoring to the business.  Profit too, but only in that it allows them to assess risk to know how much credit to grant and the pricing of that credit pursuant to the risk involved in granting credit.

You almost hit the nail on the head. Just keep in mind that FICO scores measure your debt management habit, or in other words, your willingness to pay, not your ability to pay.

Message 12 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@Gunnar419 wrote:

supervelous, of course ultimately it's about what's profitable or not profitable for the banks. Getting to profitability it's also definitely about how risky or how reliable you are. The attempts to measure risk and reliability are just means to the end, though.

I sure wish I could answer your question, but I can't and I've never heard anybody give a good answer.

Probably because you dismissed good answers.

Oh yeah. Being insulting is really helpful.

And of course just absolutely everybody on the boards is expected to remember an answer you posted five or six months ago. How remiss of me to have forgotten it.

But guess what? I just re-read your thread from back then and I still don't think it's an adequate answer.

You misread my post, or maybe I misread yours. The question was whether FICO scores measure reliability or profitability, not about whether it makes sense that paying off installment loans reduces your FICO scores.

Message 13 of 16
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

This squabbling isn't helping the OP.

Please get back on topic or move on to another thread.

Message 14 of 16
mariposa7678
Regular Contributor

it happened to me to, with the different I refinance my car, but the old debt shows as paid off, weird..

2/23/15 -EQ 676 TU 627 EX 665 7/27/15 EQ 683 TU 683 EX 677 9/4/15 EQ 719 TU 690 EX 677 11/5/15 EQ 725 TU 693 EX 734**2/7/16 EQ 732 TU 696 EX 742
Message 15 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Got hit on tu for 17 points, ex for 7 points and EQ for 36 points for paying off a car loan (installment)...  My new car loan has since reported to EX and TU and got MOST of my points back, but not all of them, still waiting for EQ for it to report so I hopefully I get back the other 36 points..  It is the most dumb thing I have ever seen.. In essence it is penalizing you, but once I take on another 40k in an auto loan/ installment loan my scores pop back up...  I am truely baffled at this.  It is dumb imo.  I have proved I can pay installment loans in the past see 16 years of car payment history you shouldnt have to have a current installment loan reporting or get penalized with regards to the scoring.  I pray that my EQ on my new autoloan will report shortly {Mod cut. You've been on the forums long enough to know that discussion of that is not allowed.} /end rant of installment loans.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.