cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Report Balance on ONLY One Card?

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Why Report Balance on ONLY One Card?

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To add another scenario here.  What if you have say (9) cards.  You have (3) cards report a balance but the grand total of available credit being used is still under 9%?  Do you lose a point or two by not have just exactly (1) card reporting a balance?  When I check my reports here one of the pluses it notes is making use of revolving credit.

Appears that it may be percentage based: for my file I don't lose anything going from 1 to 2 cards reporting a balance.  I do drop 3 points going to 3 cards reporting a balance (and then take a further hit at 5 cards).

From anyone who has posted data though, 1 card will be optimal, just others might be too... so for anyone coming off the street to this forum, recommendation of only one card reporting a balance is good enough.  It's not bad information, and is as close to optimal as we can get on a short-term advice basis, it's just not complete.  

I have about 4 years of detailed EQ history with FICO 4 and later, FICO 8. This is pretty much what I've seen. FICO 4 was much more sensitive if all or most of your cards reported balances. FICO 8 is still sensitive but less so. In both cases you need to have one or two cards reporting a small balance for the best FICO. A single card with a small balance will assure the highest score for both FICO 4 and FICO 8.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 11 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jc7622 wrote:
I keep reading the suggestion of allowing only one CC to report a balance of 9% or less each month (then PIF), but to PIF your other cards to $0 balance before their statement dates. Essentially only reporting a balance on one card per month.

Why?? Why not allow all of your cards to report a balance of 9% or less? Why only one? FWIW - My primary goal is increasing my FICO score after three years of using only debit cards, just got two new CC's.

I personally don't think the theory holds water. I had small balances on all cards. Then went to 10 out of 13 reporting zero balances. Then went to most cards reporting balances again. Found no change in scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

To add another scenario here.  What if you have say (9) cards.  You have (3) cards report a balance but the grand total of available credit being used is still under 9%?  Do you lose a point or two by not have just exactly (1) card reporting a balance?  When I check my reports here one of the pluses it notes is making use of revolving credit.

Appears that it may be percentage based: for my file I don't lose anything going from 1 to 2 cards reporting a balance.  I do drop 3 points going to 3 cards reporting a balance (and then take a further hit at 5 cards).

From anyone who has posted data though, 1 card will be optimal, just others might be too... so for anyone coming off the street to this forum, recommendation of only one card reporting a balance is good enough.  It's not bad information, and is as close to optimal as we can get on a short-term advice basis, it's just not complete.  

I have about 4 years of detailed EQ history with FICO 4 and later, FICO 8. This is pretty much what I've seen. FICO 4 was much more sensitive if all or most of your cards reported balances. FICO 8 is still sensitive but less so. In both cases you need to have one or two cards reporting a small balance for the best FICO. A single card with a small balance will assure the highest score for both FICO 4 and FICO 8.

Thank you Revelate and cashnocredit.  I will revise my monthly payments more dutifully on putting cards away around statement cut, etc.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello MissingCalifornia and jc7622!  Can you clarify which of the following you are mainly interested in?

(1)  LONG TERM: Habits that will cause your credit score to gradually increase over a stretch of time.

(2)  SHORT TERM: A strategy that will cause you to squeeze out some extra points just before a crucial credit check, like applying for a car loan or a mortgage.

The recomendation to make sure that all of your CCs report $0 (except one) falls into #2.  It is a very short term effect.  It will not help you improve your scores over the long term.  (It won't hurt your scores long term either, as far as I can tell, but it's a lot of work and only worth doing for the specific reason of giving yourself a very short term boost.)

One of the other commenters on this thread mentioned this (Seezar). 

Message 14 of 15
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello MissingCalifornia and jc7622!  Can you clarify which of the following you are mainly interested in?

(1)  LONG TERM: Habits that will cause your credit score to gradually increase over a stretch of time.

(2)  SHORT TERM: A strategy that will cause you to squeeze out some extra points just before a crucial credit check, like applying for a car loan or a mortgage.

The recomendation to make sure that all of your CCs report $0 (except one) falls into #2.  It is a very short term effect.  It will not help you improve your scores over the long term.  (It won't hurt your scores long term either, as far as I can tell, but it's a lot of work and only worth doing for the specific reason of giving yourself a very short term boost.)

One of the other commenters on this thread mentioned this (Seezar). 

Yes, it isn't really a good strategy except short term to apply for credit.  That and for experimental purposes is the only time I let just one card report a balance. Generally I want issuers to see that I use my cards and letting balances report accomplishes that in the event issuers aren't looking at payments made.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.