Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

I just recently paid off all of my credit card debt sending my credit score sky high. I currently at:

Transunion: 756

Equifax: 746

Experian: 696

My question is why is there such a difference with my experian score. I checked the report and its Identical to the other two. Do they grade harder or something? Im confused. Please Help!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

I would say there's something you're missing, even if it's minor that's causing the score variation. With identical information you should be within 30 points, not 50-60. What monitoring service are you using and does it show you all of your accounts on all 3 bureaus? Also keep in mind that your real Experian report may differ from what you're seeing from a monitoring service... So requesting hard copies of all your real credit reports would be useful if you don't have them already.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

aRe: Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

I use Credit Karma, the discover Experian credit chec, the capital one creditwise monitoring, and the USAA Experian credit monitor. I use the free services from the experian website to see my score once a month. You say it could be something minor that can cause the variation. Something like what exactly? Should I call them or something?

Thank you for the response!

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: aRe: Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

I would request copies of your real credit reports from all 3 bureaus for starters so you can have hard copies in your hand in about a week and start going through them line by line.  There could be a piece of negative information on one of your accounts with the 1 bureau that's not shown on the other 2.  There could be any sort of information that doesn't match such as account dates/ages, credit limits and thus utilization amounts, etc.  Monitoring software is useful, but doesn't give the whole picture that your real credit report does which is why it's important to look at those.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: aRe: Why Such a Huge dif between Bureaus

Ive never requested hard copies so I will make that my next move and go from there. Thank you very much for the information! Im sure I will find some kind of discreptancy I can get fixed!

Message 5 of 14
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

It appears you are comparing FICO (Experian) to Vantage (EQ & TU) and that may account for the big differences. Pull all 3 FICO's on Credit Check Total with their trial membership

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU FICO score is WAY off from my Vantage TU (627 as opposed to 679) and I'm pretty sure by now that I know why: (1) for some reason, my Penfed car loan still hasn't reported to TU even though it was opened nearly two months ago now and I just made my first payment this past weekend - I PM'ed Penfed several days ago asking about this but haven't yet received a response; I'm hoping that it'll finally get on TU tomorrow (it appears on both EQ and EX), and (2) for some reason, a Chase Visa that was included in my 2014 BK and closed shows up properly in FICO as being closed and included in BK, but, to my ongoing mystification, appears in Vantage as "open/derogatory" with a $0 balance, not having been used since 2014 (that part at least is correct), throwing off my utilization and total amount of available credit in Vantage but not in FICO. That card also reports properly on EQ and EX in both FICO and Vantage. I talked about those issues briefly with a TU rep last week when I was fixing a login problem and she advised me to call another department that had all the relevant information, I have that number somewhere in my bag.

It appears to me as if the Penfed issue is on their side, really, not TU's, since TU told me that a lender generally needs to report a new account within 30 days of its being opened. I'm wondering if maybe Penfed counts the elapsed time differently, not from when the loan was approved (as I'd assumed) but from when the payment history starts? As to the weird little thing with the Chase Visa, given that it reports properly on FICO, which is the really important one, and that Vantage, at best, is useful chiefly for educational purposes and getting apartment rentals, I'm not sure if I really need to worry about it after all...

Message 7 of 14
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@medicgrrl wrote:
It appears you are comparing FICO (Experian) to Vantage (EQ & TU) and that may account for the big differences. Pull all 3 FICO's on Credit Check Total with their trial membership

^^This. Credit Karma, CreditWise, and USAA Experian credit monitor use VantageScore 3.0. Discover's scorecard uses FICO.

I'd follow medicgrrl's advice and pull your three FICOs from CreditCheck Total. That'll give you three FICO scores and reports. BBS's suggestion to get the full reports is a good idea, too. They'll show you minutia that nothing else does.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You were absolutely RIGHT!! Just pulled all three FICO scores and they are:

Transunion: 688

Equifax:690

Experian: 696

Drastically different than the scores from the vantage system. I have one late payment from 2.5 years ago as my only serious deliquancy. 8% util of $37,500. 3.5yr AAoA. and only a few inquiries a piece. How do I get it going up from here??

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:

Great point above here that I didn't catch initially!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.