onmyway2day

Why am I being penalized for cc utilization when it's so low??

One of the reasons sited for lowering my FICO score is in the area of cc utilization. It shows I have $81 on one credit card out of $400 available credit. It shows I have $31,900 available on a different credit card with $0 balance. The weird thing is that I'm not connected to the second cc anymore - I was an authorized user on my then-husband's AMEX card but haven't been since 2009, but all three bureaus still count it as available credit line. So why am I being penalized for utilization? And why does it still show as available credit on the AMEX when I'm not on it anymore?? It still shows as 0% utilization on cc's even though there's $81. Do I spend more like $300 on that cc with the $400 limit to finally get recognition for utilization because I'm safe with the AMEX credit limit or will that, too, hurt my score?

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 631
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Valued Contributor
AndySoCal

Re: Why am I being penalized for cc utilization when it's so low??

Is the AMEX card the type  where the balance is due in full each month? If so this is a charge card and not included in your credit utilizattion.  

Equifax My FICO score 815 5/28/2012, 818 on 7/28/2014 . Average of Accounts 12 years and no Installment accounts. MyFICO TU 810 6/26/2012 809 4/21/2013 MyFICO XPN -805. 2/26/2014 Discover TU FICO 813 App free since 9/2011

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+