cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are FairIsaac FICO scores not released with "free" credit reports?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are FairIsaac FICO scores not released with "free" credit reports?

I am currently unemployed and have excellent credit ratings from the past.  I placed access restrictions on my credit information because my account data was among data stolen from several banks and retailers.

It is my understanding that unemployed people such as me can have once per year "free" credit reports from the major credit bureaus mailed to me, per Federal law. 

Apparently FairIsaac FICO scores are not released to me as the accoiunt holder with these "free" credit reports, why is this?  I am trying to find out my current FICO scores so I may determine what potential employers see since I have chosen to restrict others access to my credit ratings.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Why are FairIsaac FICO scores not released with "free" credit reports?

Questor wrote:
I am currently unemployed and have excellent credit ratings from the past.  I placed access restrictions on my credit information because my account data was among data stolen from several banks and retailers.

It is my understanding that unemployed people such as me can have once per year "free" credit reports from the major credit bureaus mailed to me, per Federal law. 

Apparently FairIsaac FICO scores are not released to me as the accoiunt holder with these "free" credit reports, why is this?  I am trying to find out my current FICO scores so I may determine what potential employers see since I have chosen to restrict others access to my credit ratings.

The law mandates everyone have a free report every year, plus other reports for the unemployed applying for a job.

The law does NOT mandate a free credit score, so no one gives you one.  This is America after all.  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FICO is a separate entity from the CRA's. They use the credit reports to crunch out the score, but they are not part of the bureaus. In fact, they are sometimes adversarial; witness the various lawsuits back and forth.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 4
dizzier
Established Contributor

in deed. Fair Issac is not a CRA and therefore is not required to give you a score doe free.

You'll have to buy them from the website, but honestly, if you look at your credit reports and there are no baddies then that is really all that employers care about, and besides, if there are no baddies then you can assume that you have a decent FICO score.

also, try that fico estimator: http://www.myfico.com/ficocreditscoreestimator/

many find that the range given is fairly accurate.

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.