cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my FICO scores so much lower than Equifax and TransUnion's scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are my FICO scores so much lower than Equifax and TransUnion's scores?

JUST NOW I ran my credit reports from all three agencies -- Experian, Equifax, Transunion. Then I came directly here to myFICO and ran my FICO score.  The FICO scores are MUCH LOWER than the actual Equifax and TU scores... WHY??  This makes no sense to me, if FICO is derived from Equifax and TU how can they differ so much??  How the heck am I to know which is correct and/or which one my future landlord is going to get?  Chances are he's going to get the FICO which paints me in a worse light. 

HELP! Please explain!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why are my FICO scores so much lower than Equifax and TransUnion's scores?

Welcome to the forums! 

Please read the credit scoring 101 link in my siggy...

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

,, rRe: Why are my FICO scores so much lower than Equifax and TransUnion's scores?

Okay, read it and still don't see the answer to my question.  Here's the applicable paragraph in your article:

Why are my scores different?

Your scores may be different at each of the three main credit reporting agencies as the FICO score only considers the data in your credit file from that agency. If your score from the three credit reporting agencies is different, it is probably because the information those agencies have on you differs. Also keep in mind that there is a different FICO formula for each credit reporting agency.

The three agency scores differ, that is fine, I understand they have different info on file for me.   But if FICO is pulling info from Equifax to calculate my FICO/Equifax score, then shouldn't the FICO result be identical to the result at Equifax? it's the same data.  Even if it differed a smidgeon I wouldn't question; but it's lower by nearly 80 pts.  If the inquirer goes to Equifax, he'll get one impression of me; if he goes to FICO and sees the Equifax score, he'll get a different (and less flattering) impression.

I just don't get it and definitely don't like it.

Message 3 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ,, rRe: Why are my FICO scores so much lower than Equifax and TransUnion's scores?

Before I can be more helpful, which website did you get your EQ score from (the non-FICO site)?

Message 4 of 20
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

Where did u pull all three from? Ficos are only real scores. WE havent been able to pull experian fico since feb. You might pulled faco scores depending on where you pulled them from. I know your experan is faco. Fico scores are what leaders pull.

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went to AnnualCreditReport.com which I got to via the Federal Trade Commission website which says "....AnnualCreditReport.com is the ONLY authorized source for the free annual credit report that's yours by law. The Fair Credit Reporting Act guarantees you access to your credit report for free from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies — Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion..."  blah blah blah.  From AnnualCR it provided individual links to each agency.

Message 6 of 20
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I went to AnnualCreditReport.com which I got to via the Federal Trade Commission website which says "....AnnualCreditReport.com is the ONLY authorized source for the free annual credit report that's yours by law. The Fair Credit Reporting Act guarantees you access to your credit report for free from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies — Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion..."  blah blah blah.  From AnnualCR it provided individual links to each agency.

The scores you got from annualcredit are not the scores that the vast majority lenders use. Around here they're called FAKO scores, lenders don't use them when considering an application for credit. Lenders use the scores at this site, FICO scores. The reason for the the big difference in scores is the difference in scoring algorithms. FICO uses a different formula than FAKO scores use. I know its frustrating, but its not usual to see a difference of 80 points between FICO and FAKO scores, even with the same exact info on your reports. Heck, there can be difference between your TU and EQ scores even with the same exact info on both reports.

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for clarifying, still frustrated and annoyed but... whatever... 

Which begs the next question: Then why the hell does the stupid government tell us to use that site?!   (rhetorical question)

Thanks everyone.

Message 8 of 20
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Which begs the next question: Then why the hell does the stupid government tell us to use that site?!   (rhetorical question)

Thanks everyone.

I see you asked rhetorically, but FACTA's rulemaking process is quite interesting. Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Use the site for the free reports. Ignore any other links. Maybe the links are there because of our well-known love of free enterprise. Smiley Wink

Sort of like using gmail. You learn to get the mail, and to screen out all the wacko pop-ups and banners and One Simple Secret to Flat Stomachs. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.