cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my scores different from the scores the lender pulled?

tag
frusturatedconsumer

Why are my scores different from the scores the lender pulled?

I purchase both credit reports offered through myfico.com each month. Recently, I applied for a mortgage through Bank of America and my TransUnion score was almost 50 points less than my score/report I ordered from this site. Why would this be the case? The purpose of me using this site was to get an idea as to what my FICO scores are since that is supposedly what all lenders use, but what is the point of paying 40 dollars each month to pull these reports if the scores still differ? Or is Bank of  America not using FICO?? I am confused.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Why are my scores different from the scores the lender pulled?

The TU FICO score from here is likely a different version than what BoA uses.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@frusturatedconsumer wrote:

I purchase both credit reports offered through myfico.com each month. Recently, I applied for a mortgage through Bank of America and my TransUnion score was almost 50 points less than my score/report I ordered from this site. Why would this be the case? The purpose of me using this site was to get an idea as to what my FICO scores are since that is supposedly what all lenders use, but what is the point of paying 40 dollars each month to pull these reports if the scores still differ? Or is Bank of  America not using FICO?? I am confused.

Hello and welcome.

As already mentioned BoA probably used a newer version of TU such as TU04 or even the newest TU08. Plus it could have been a mortgage enhanced flavor of one of those. The TU pulled here is the older TU98 version.

I would call them and see if they would tell you which TU score they pulled.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been checking/following my credit reports/scores for many years with the three credit bureaus.  I used to sign up for one of their "trial" plans ever year or two, to get my credit reports and verify (or correct) the entries at a cheap price, and then cancelled the trial.  Of course, now you can get your credit reports once a year for free...though you have to pay for your scores.  Even with all that experience, I was astounded to find a similar situation to that raised by the initial poster in this thread:  directly from Equifax I got a score of 820 (I paid to get the score), but when we refinanced the mortgage on our principle residence here, the (local) bank said (in writing) they got a score from Equifax of 770.  A 50 point difference!  I couldn't believe it...though, fortunately, it made no difference at all to the lender (anything above 740 was fine with them for their best interest rate).   I paid for an Equifax plan (just through the refinancing process) so I could get my updated credit scores even on a daily basis.  I checked the day before the local bank pulled my credit report/score and the day after...both times Equifax told me 820.  And yet the bank got 770.

I corresponded with a newspaper columnist who writes on real estate/mortgage issues, and he suggested the bank got my FICO score and not my Equifax score...and he turned out to be right.  I went to Myfico.com and signed up for their 10-day free trial (you'll pay if you go through the Equifax website for your FICO score), and my FICO score is now 778.    

I'm at a complete loss to comprehend this:  except that it's a huge shell game.  There is no point paying Equifax for their score if it bears so little resemblence to the score a "real life" lender gets for me.  I guess I need to go to Equifax if I need to correct any entries, but otherwise....  I talked to someone at Equifax, who mumbled something about my Equifax score being my "risk" score...and Myfico being "another" score.

The whole process may "work" in a way, but it is clearly designed to provide as much confusion as possible for us "customers."  The "factors" that affect your score can be cited as a "positive" or a "negative" at the same time:  too much credit...not enough credit; too many cards...not enough cards/accounts; etc etc.  And now, when companies like AT&T, T-Moble, DirecTV etc insist on checking your "credit"...has that been factored in now.  It doesn't seem like it.

I know MarineVietVet mentions different versions of credit union formulas, but even knowing which version BofA pulled wouldn't help frustratedconsumer at all...it's all basically a shell game.  In my case, my myfico score was lower than my Equifax score (as well as my TransUnion and Experian scores); it was the opposite for frustratedconsumer.  Why?  Who knows...or who will ever know really? 

Message 4 of 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

BofA would have used exactly the EQ score you get here. They would use TU FICO Classic 04, which is one version later than the TU FICO Classic 98 version you get here. They would have also pulled your EX Fair Issac v2, which is the EX FICO that used to be available here.

There is no way that EQ, or any other CRA, could afford to give you a daily FICO score.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.