Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did disputes lower my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why did disputes lower my credit score?

I submitted several disputes with Equifax and the next day my score was 15 points lower. Is this because of the disputes, and if so, will I get the points back once the investigations are complete?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why did disputes lower my credit score?

Yes, the disputes automatically lower your score. Once the disputes are resolved your points will come back. I read this information someplace but not sure where...HTH.
Message 2 of 5
Regular Contributor

don't worry about your score soon as everything is taken care of such as your dispute and paying everything on time your credit score will come back up.
Message 3 of 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

indyfree wrote:
Yes, the disputes automatically lower your score. Once the disputes are resolved your points will come back. I read this information someplace but not sure where...HTH.

That's not entirely true. There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in
dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This
could easily backfire. 
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputes do not automatically lower your credit score.  It all depends on how those accounts that are being disputed fall into the total mix.  If those accounts are paramount enough to lessen the age of your credit or increase your Utilization Factor or shorten your total months of good payment history, it could in fact lower your credit score.  But if the reverse is true then those accountsa could in fact raise your credit score.  When you dispute, the CRA's place it in a status of "under review" for 30 days.  WHile in that status, the credit score will not reflect its impact.  However, after 30 days the disputed item will be removed, corrected, or updated and the "under review status" will be removed.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.