New Visitor

Why did disputes lower my credit score?

I submitted several disputes with Equifax and the next day my score was 15 points lower. Is this because of the disputes, and if so, will I get the points back once the investigations are complete?
Established Member

Re: Why did disputes lower my credit score?

Yes, the disputes automatically lower your score. Once the disputes are resolved your points will come back. I read this information someplace but not sure where...HTH.
Regular Contributor

don't worry about your score soon as everything is taken care of such as your dispute and paying everything on time your credit score will come back up.
Moderator Emeritus

indyfree wrote:
Yes, the disputes automatically lower your score. Once the disputes are resolved your points will come back. I read this information someplace but not sure where...HTH.

That's not entirely true. There are some things FICO will not calculate while a TL is in
dispute. Does that mean you should dispute in hopes of increasing your score? NO! This
could easily backfire. 

Disputes do not automatically lower your credit score.  It all depends on how those accounts that are being disputed fall into the total mix.  If those accounts are paramount enough to lessen the age of your credit or increase your Utilization Factor or shorten your total months of good payment history, it could in fact lower your credit score.  But if the reverse is true then those accountsa could in fact raise your credit score.  When you dispute, the CRA's place it in a status of "under review" for 30 days.  WHile in that status, the credit score will not reflect its impact.  However, after 30 days the disputed item will be removed, corrected, or updated and the "under review status" will be removed.
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.